Hot Water Tank & Central Heating Therm- Cable Requiremen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need to purchase the cabling and make the runs ready for my electrician to wire in a new central heating thermostat and hot water tank thermostat + immersion heaters. Could anyone advise me on the what cable is usually used for such purposes?

I would imagine:
- Gas Central heating Thermostat - 3 core + earth 1.5mm (I presume there is not really that much current going through it.
- Hot Water Tank Thermostat to Central Heating - 3 core + earth 1.5mm
- 3kw @240v Electric Immersion Heater as backup for hot water tank - 2 core + earth 2.5mm

Are any of my assumptions incorrect here?

Thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Oh and I realise that I need heat resistant Flex from the wall switch to the immersion heater.

Mainly because I have already asked him a million questions and I am feeling a bit guilty as a result, but maybe this is a query deserving of another call...

Sponsored Links
I would go further and wonder why 1.5mm² is even considered (it seems to have become fashionable (i.e. no valid reason)).

The maximum current carrying capacities:
1mm² - 16A
1.5mm² - 20A
2.5mm² - 27A

Demand:
Central heating - maximum half an Amp.
Immersion heater - 13A

I would go further and wonder why 1.5mm² is even considered (it seems to have become fashionable (i.e. no valid reason)).

The maximum current carrying capacities:
1mm² - 16A
1.5mm² - 20A
2.5mm² - 27A

Demand:
Central heating - maximum half an Amp.
Immersion heater - 13A

Point noted - I have bought loads of 1.5mm and 2.5mm ready for when my Sparky arrives on Monday. Not sure there is any point in buying additional 1mm when I am sure to have some left over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back