Hot Water Tank - Immersion Heater Thread No Hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All,

Just looking at installing an immersion heater in to the top of my tank, only to discover the thread is there for one, but it seems to be sealed, did think it would be some sort of cap, but seems pretty solid bit of copper, Tank is probably well over 20 years old, guessing it just a tease or did they have to be drilled out back in the day ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo of the top? You may just have a blanking plug.

I certainly can, Here you go.
upload_2022-4-12_8-19-4.jpeg

Gary

It’s not something I’ve seen before, but it does appear to be one that requires a hole drilling for an immersion heater to be fitted. The ones I’ve seen all have the hole ready and a blanking plug is used.

Sponsored Links
That's what I keep finding when I have trawled the web, must be an oldie.

Gary

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I think it's a factory cock -up . To be so old that no flange was fitted it would have to be from the early 50's

If that 'blank' in the middle is just thin copper, then a tank cutter would make a neat hole in it for an immersion heater.

Cheers Harry, will give it the old tap test, see how thick it sounds.

Gary

As an apprentice my first favourite tool was a tank cutter, I loved fitting sidewinders, still have it somewhere but hasnt been used for many years, think the last time it was used was to fit a power shower in my flat many moons ago

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
As an apprentice my first favourite tool was a tank cutter, I loved fitting sidewinders, still have it somewhere but hasnt been used for many years, think the last time it was used was to fit a power shower in my flat many moons ago
only side winders i ever done was at training centre we preferred to use blades (hotrods)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back