Hot water tank in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small bathroom which is made even smaller due to a large airing cupboard.

I want to put the hot water tank in the attic. Is there any planning regluations I have to be aware of, or any other reason I should not put it in the attic?

Sponsored Links
or any other reason I should not put it in the attic?

Presumably your cold water tank is in the attic already. The HW cylinder needs to be LOWER than the cold tank. Avoid horizontal ('lie down') cylinders, upright ones work better. Moving the cold water tank higher may be tricky / expensive.

Why do you want a cylinder and cold tank at all? Migrating to a combi boiler might be cheaper anyway. If you're all-electric, investigate an unvented mains-fed cylinder (to go in the loft INSTEAD of the cold tank).

I have just purchased the property and the boiler is only 2 years old so I feel the expense of an new combi boiler is unnecessary.

Is there any particular reason that moving the cold water tank higher could be expensive? The height is there.

Is it that you wish to move the cylinder up into the attic to free up space in your bathroom :?:
I think it would be more trouble than it is worth :!:
Your joists would have to be super strengthened to take the extra load of a full cylinder and a platform would have to be built above the cylinder to site the cw storage cistern to feed it.
To undertake such a job I would want RSJs fitted first as I wouldn't want to be underneath when the system is filled :evil:
Croydon corgi has given you 2 better options ;)

Sponsored Links
BAHCO, I think your suggestion of RSJs and super strengthened beams may be a little over the top!

My tank is 140 litres therefore about 160 kg in total, about the same as 2 adults. As I'm going to place it over a load bearing wall I think we'll be ok!

steveharr said:
My tank is 140 litres therefore about 160 kg in total, about the same as 2 adults. As I'm going to place it over a load bearing wall I think we'll be ok!
Are you forgetting the weight of the cw storage cistern (100 litres minimum = 100 kg ) which would have to be placed over the cylinder not to mention the weight of the wood framework. Also your cistern if serving other appliances i.e shower , wc , or basin would have to have 230 litre capacity.
You could have 400 kg concentrated in a small area :evil:
I would think twice as you may regret your decision :)

Thanks for all your advice guys, I will have another think about the whole arrangement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back