Hot water tank leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello folks, just noticed my hot water tank is seeping from the top pipe. Do I need a whole new tank? I tied a bit of string to try and catch the drip.

Regards
Steve

20170720_173243.jpg
20170720_173302.jpg

20170720_173250.jpg

Sponsored Links
it may just be leaking from the joint ,but there is a fair bit of corrosion there.best to get a pro in for their opinion. I can't tell from pics but it seems to have seen better days.

Sponsored Links
New cylinder time, it's not worth trying to 'nip' it up.

Andy

Difficult to tell from the pics, but,personally, I think I would remove the fittings and remake. It is more likely the joint leaking rather than the copper.On the proviso that if any damage occurs,the punter pays for a new cylinder. Which I would have quoted for as a fall back position (better word available for "fall back position", but I am too knackered to think of it.)

Being short handed;)

Last edited:
Original installer should of used unions (CU 68's).

I can only agree Steely.

Not too clear from the photos, but it maybe the cylinder coil back nut/jam ring. Which would involve drain both your Cylinder & CH system. Not really a DaftyDIYers job.

I can only agree Steely.

Not too clear from the photos, but it maybe the cylinder coil back nut/jam ring. Which would involve drain both your Cylinder & CH system. Not really a DaftyDIYers job.
Agree Dickie , if we were lucky (or should I say customer lucky) the back nut could be nipped-up which would cure the leak.

A decent plumber can always stop a leak. It just depends how far you want him to go, especially on an old gunked up fitting... he'll spend most of his time on clean up and readying the joint for a remake - probably to the point where it is in better condition than when originally fitted! A joint that is reported leaking gets more attention than any during install :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back