Hot water tank question

T

timn64

I have just moved into a house with no gas supply and the heating etc is all electric. I have an albion combination hot water tank with 2 elements in it. The top one of the two is fine but the bottom one all the connectors are corroded and it has been disconnected.

It seems to heat the water up still but I only get about a quarter of a bath full before it runs cold. Would this be because only one of the elements is running or is one just a spare? I am thinking it is either the element or some kind of airlock if thats possible in a tank.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
the top element only heats the top part of the tank

the bottom element (when it is working) heats the whole tank

Post a pic of the thing so we understand what you have got.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99672

the bottom element should be replaceable but if it is very old it might be seized into place

I hope you have got an economy night-time electricity rate since full-price electricity is a lot more exensive than gas.

Is it your own home, or rented?

have they just disconnected it or taken the night rate cable from the bottom element and placed it on the top element when the bottom one packed up.

is the top element working off the boost switch or only heating at night?

That was quick, thanks guys.

The tank doesn't look that old so hopefully the element will come out ok. Struggling for a pic at the minute, trying to find the lead to connect the camera to the pc. as soon as I find it I will upload a picture.

We do have an economy rate and it looks like the broken element has just been disconnected. The top one is working off the switch so I assume that's not been touched.

And yes we own the house so Gas will be going in just as soon as can afford to get it done.

Sponsored Links
taking out the old heater, if it is seized, may tear the tank (they are very thin and made of soft copper) but as it is your own house a new one would be a reasonable investment. You can get an indirect cylinder that can be used with your gas boiler (if you go that way) and will fill a bath faster than a combi.

A skilled old plumber may make a better job of getting the old element out.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

that looks fairly modern. Try changing the thermostat first (no need to drain and quite cheap).

I don't see a cable for the lower element.

It's worth buying a multimeter so you can see what the resistance is across the element before you consider replacing it.

If you do have to change it, drain the cylinder from the bottom, and use one of those box spanners (not a flat one). Loosen the element before draining the cylinder (the weight of water will help). Stop if you see the copper starting to crease or tear. Or get an old plumber.

taking out the old heater, if it is seized, may tear the tank (they are very thin and made of soft copper) but as it is your own house a new one would be a reasonable investment. You can get an indirect cylinder that can be used with your gas boiler (if you go that way) and will fill a bath faster than a combi.

what use is a new cylinder for a gas boiler ? thats not going to help him out now.

whats this skilled old plumber lark ?

that will come out, a £25 immersion element turning into a £200 new cylinder. wot the fuc

Thanks John, you've been a great help. The element needs changing I think as there is no connections left on it (see below)

I am right in thinking this element should be connected to the economy 7 then?

5.jpg

those screwed pillars are terminals. looks like they are missing the nuts and the dished washers. have a look at the upper element to compare them. observe the colours and positions. you could try swapping the connections and thermostat from the other one to see if it still works. testing with a multimeter would be a good start. someone here will know what the resistance should be.

edited: seco knows!

whats this skilled old plumber lark ?
I have heard the oldies brag that they can get a seized immersion out without tearing the cylinder

indeed I would:cool: :LOL: wanna know how :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back