Hot water tank tripping switch in fusebox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :)

Unfortunately I'm a total idiot and don't understand water systems at all, despite trying to read up from google. And I'm hoping someone here can help.

I have a gas boiler, and a tank looking thing in an airing cupboard upstairs. The boiler works fine and heats the house and hot water. But if I turn on the switch on the fusebox for the immersion heater thing (the water tank) it immediately switches off with a large bang

Since I have hot water (from the boiler which is going in the tank) do I need to put the switch on for the water tank?

Also, the overpipe seems to drip pretty much all the time. Checked the toilet cisten and I don't think it's coming from there.

I'm sorry for being so stupid, I'm hoping someone can help. Do I even need to turn the water tank on?

Thank you advance for any replies :)

Sponsored Links
seems you need a plumber then...cos from what you are saying you aint gonna fix it yourself !

Yeah, I'm definately going to call a plumber if something needs fixing

But I don't seem to have any need as such. I've still got hot water even though the tank isn't turned on. So do I even need one?

you dont need to use the immersion.
its for back up if boiler breaks...or sometimes for summer water heating.

so if and when you have some cash i'd get it looked at.

The drip from a warning pipe will be washer from a tank in the loft ? and you should have it looked at, cos its wasteful, will stain the patio or even flood your loft when a bird gets its head stuck in the pipe and it cant drain down the pipe anymore.

the drip problem should be about £35 - 45.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the immersion heater in the hot water cylinder has failed.

The immersion heater would generally only be used as a backup water heater, if you wish to turn the boiler off in the summer, or if the boiler develops a fault (and turns itself off :cry: ).

So most of the time you would leave the immersion turned off anyway:cool: .

There is always the chance the tripping is down to a wiring fault. You could try turning off the immersion heater at the switch by the hot cylinder (if fitted) then re-seting the breaker. If it will reset with the switch turned off, then it will probably be a faulty immersion heater. If it won't, then you may need an electrician rather than a plumber.

Replacing an immersion heater should be a straightforward job, but there is always a risk of damaging the hot water cylinder when removing the old one.

The dripping overflow pipe may be down to the cold water storage tank or the heating feed and expansion tank overfilling. Both are usually, but not always in the loft.

Replacing and adjusting a ballcock is usually straightforward. Have a look at the FAQs page.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back