Where to put a new System Boiler & Hot Water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My soon to be replaced Combi Boiler is in the loft which is not easy to get to for an engineer to service it or for me to climb up to find out why it has failed.

I will be replacing it with a system boiler and unvented hot water tank.

Any thoughts on the ideas I have come up with:
  • SYSTEM BOILER & HOT WATER TANK in the airing cupboard if they can both be squeezed in
  • SYSTEM BOILER in the kitchen & HOT WATER TANK in airing cupboard with emergency immersion switch
  • SYSTEM BOILER in the airing cupboard & HOT WATER TANK in the loft (emergency immersion switch in airing cupboard)

Sponsored Links
Ideally Option 1 but one thing to bear in mind is that an unvented cylinder needs a 22mm (minimum) pressure relief discharge pipe to be run to outside, so if the airing cupboard is in the centre of the house that may prove to be tricky

Ideally Option 1 but one thing to bear in mind is that an unvented cylinder needs a 22mm (minimum) pressure relief discharge pipe to be run to outside, so if the airing cupboard is in the centre of the house that may prove to be tricky
Just what I wanted to hear ! No it's on an outside wall.

Another thing to consider , your new boiler will require to connect to a drain for the condensate or a soakaway outside, so dont rule out the boiler going in the kitchen, your installer will advise

Sponsored Links
Your installer may advise on the best position....for him! My choice - boiler in the loft (as long as it’s easy access, well lit and boarded) and hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard.

He has already told you he wants the boiler removed from the loft, should be illegal to fit them in lofts anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back