Heater for water supply only?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Background is: central heating is a warm air system, so an independent warm air boiler in the kitchen. Hot water is currently provided by a timed electric immersion heater in the airing cupboard with feed tank in loft.
For space saving reasons, want to get rid of the immersion heater and have a combi boiler type system with combi boiler in garage (keeping the other boiler in the kitchen for the warm air heating)
However, a "combi" boiler is not needed, as we won't be using the central heating function of the boiler, just the hot water for taps and showers. Are there any boilers on the market which are designed for this? All gas boilers of this type I can see are designed for both central heating and water supply, we need one just for water.

Sponsored Links
yes there is have a look at the Main range of multi point water heaters, looks like a combi but only does water, there is quite a few out there, hope this helps, i think the Main Multipoint FF is fairly new and seems alright, i have installed a couple over the last year

I think with the intergs you can just use the h/w function on its own, the heatinh side can be saved untill your wau packs up then you can have a wet system if you want

I'm pretty sure you can do that with the Valliants also just turn off the flow and returns and charge the boiler with pressure, the hot water will work, this option will be more expensive as the boiler will be more expensive than a multipoint but as stated by previous member does give you the longer term option of having a wet system installed

Sponsored Links
Most combi boilers can be used just for hot water.

One very good reason for doing that is that at any time in the future you can have rads fitted and use the boiler for the heating.

There is a very small instant water heater by Heatline which is about 30 kW and very small indeed. If the boilers are anything to go by it will be quite cheap to buy.

I have only even seen one of them so they are not common but evidently they are available.

Tony

look at Rinnai infinity water heater will out perform any combi and can be upgraded later to the twinflow sys which is the dogs dangley bits ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back