Using a combi for hot water only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife's mother recently had an aging multipoint water heater replaced with a condensing combi, but without using it for central heating (she has a separate boiler for the warm-air heating - no rads).

Is this standard practice, and what would be connected to the central heating oultets on the boiler? Is it OK to cap them (I'd have thought not...).

Sponsored Links
If it has an internal bypass then its usually OK to cap. If not loop.

I have seen several like this without problems.

Tony

Thanks Tony, and on a related topic, I'm buying a place which needs new everything (Boiler circa 1963!). I was planning on getting a boiler installed pretty quickly but just having it connected to heat the kitchen taps, and then tackle the new rads and bathrooms at my 'leisure' once some other more urgent jobs are finished.

This should be possible (if unorthodox) with the right boiler?

Thats a very common reason for using a combi initially until heating can be fitted or afforded.

Some manufacturers might not like it if you asked them though.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thats not a problem at all,if you are worried about the bypass then just stick one radiator in the kitchen this can act as the loop

Then you can carry on with your renovation project to your hearts content.

Thanks for that advice folks - I will probably put a few meters of pipe in to give the exchanger something to circulate with.

Richard

I would stick at least one rad on in case it affects the warranty.

Intergas boiler would be perfect for this situation. the CH side can be completely dry and you can still have hot water.

also have the bonus of been one of a very few boilers to fully condense in dhw mode.

"I would stick at least one rad on in case it affects the warranty."

Can do - might be possible to connect up the existing few (and ancient) rads, providing the existing valves cope (which is very much in doubt). Or a temp. rad as you suggest.

Any more suggestions on boiler make from anyone? Worcester seem to have a decent reputation on here. I had a Baxi installed a couple of years ago which gave no problems. Are Biasi any good (or is that a silly question - they seem disconcertingly cheap...)?

The Biasi M96 and M110 are some of the most reliable boilers on the market. But the new model called Activa is all different and very new in the marketplace and perhaps too soon to tell if they will be as good as the others.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back