Using a combi boiler for central heating only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats your mains cold water flow rate like going into your property ?

Sponsored Links
Okay, we now have a better idea of the problem, so thanks for that. Whilst I suspect most here would disagree with your solution, I can see where you're coming from, so yes, all the plumber has to do, is cap off the cold inlet and hot outlet, and install the new multipoint. As the hot water will then be flowing backwards to existing points, you'll want to cap of the existing hot water pipes past the last needed take off, so you remove any risk of legionella.

@shaky1105 this might not be quite as simple as you think it is. Your total kW output of all gas appliances cannot exceed 70kW. I don't know much about your existing system and appliances as you haven't said, but let's for example assume that you have a 36kW combi and a 10kW hob. That leaves you with a maximum 24kW multipoint, which is not going to give you the hot water flow rate you're used to.

Why can't you either move your existing boiler to a location closer to the kitchen and bathroom, or alternatively have a new boiler there and do away with your existing one altogether? Would seem like a much more sensible option to me....

The op has a 30kw wb combi, leaves plenty of scope for a 24kw multipoint even if he has a cooker and gas fire, depending on how old the combi is it might be worth moving it closer to the kitchen/bathroom and fitting a small system boiler in its place.

Sponsored Links
The op has a 30kw wb combi, leaves plenty of scope for a 24kw multipoint even if he has a cooker and gas fire, depending on how old the combi is it might be worth moving it closer to the kitchen/bathroom and fitting a small system boiler in its place.

In a small bungalow?? The OP has too much time on his hands, a boiler in the wrong place & muppets giving him advice.

At least he aint got a "professional" fooking around with equalising valves trying to fix unequal pressures on his shower .

Funny I dont recall recommending anything, I said it might be worth moving his old combi, what is it your always saying about the hard of thinking ?

The pipes are in the concrete floor and the hot water isn't really that hot by the time it gets to the shower or the kitchen taps. The boiler has just been serviced by BG and the fitter said it's working perfectly.
are you sure its because of pipes in the concrete and not the boiler producing that hot water properly , can't see it making that much of a difference in a 3 bed bungalow unless its the flow of hw your talking about . maybe your cold main flow is slightly to much , a 30kw combi should be ample for what you need well depending what your expecting of course

Funny I dont recall recommending anything, I said it might be worth moving his old combi, what is it your always saying about the hard of thinking ?

Eh??!! You must have a double then fella. Do you work for BG Picasso?

No I don't work for BG, use the quote function if you want to show where I recommended he fit a 24kw water heater.

So a 24KW multipoint(you recommended) may give you 10-12Ltr/min. An unvented cylinder would give you approximately double that, dynamic water flow rate & pressure permitting.
It's HW he's whining about & you just reduced his flow rate.

I did not recommend he fit a 24kw multipoint, it was more in response to muggles post about exceeding what the gas meter can supply, as reading in not your strong point I will type nice and slowly in response to any of your future posts,o_O

I did not recommend he fit a 24kw multipoint, it was more in response to muggles post about exceeding what the gas meter can supply, as reading in not your strong point I will type nice and slowly in response to any of your future posts,o_O

Squeak, squeak, squeak!!!...........Anyone else hear back peddling??!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back