No hot water

Jox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping someone can help....I have a conventional boiler, heating is working fine but hot water is not heating up properly despite being on permanently...started a few weeks ago and getting worse, have to use the immersion now to guarantee a tank of hot water :(

Will be changing boiler soon so don't really want to spend out to fix it for just a few weeks...thermostat on tank and boiler are turned up...any advice would be really appreciated :D

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the ch is fine, it's unlikely to be the boiler. What sort of motorised valve(s) do you have?

If you dont want to spend anything then it seems that you will need to continue to use th immersion heater until your new system is fitted!

Why not have it done sooner?

Tony

No idea!! Where would I find that? Boiler is a potterton kingfisher ii :D

Thanks

Sponsored Links

Will either be a pair of these, or a single one with three ports. Could be in airing cupboard, near pump, but could be anywhere. We plumbers like to hide them to keep punters on their toes. ;)

Hmm...I have 2 Drayton zone valve actuators...any good??!

They'll do.

Can you determine which one has a pipe from it that leads to the side of the hw cylinder? Does the valve move when the hw is turned on? The pipe from valve to cylinder should get hot, but probably won't.

Also, try moving the lever on the valve across to the other side, and latching it in that position. Then turn hw on, on the programmer.

Hooray! Right they are labelled so can see which is which :)

Pipes are boiling hot.

Ch value switch is in position A and HW is in position B and won't budge when I try to move it...ch one will move a tiny bit but flicks back to A...

The valve is a ZA5 btw

Thanks for this :)

With everything off, the levers should be at A and you should be able to move them across to B, release and they spring back to A.

If the hw one is stiff, it's faulty.

Ok thanks....sounds like I have my answer...when you say with everything turned off do you just mean htg & HW off at timer or more off than that?!!

Really appreciate you taking the time to help me here :D

Not sure if you can answer another query I have...cheeky I know!

I recently had a gas fire removed from lounge (by a gas safe engineer). There is a vent in the floor of the room that I think may have been cut in when the fire was fitted...as I am about to have new carpet fitted though I would check if the vent was for the fire and if I can block it? Would you know??

Dont the draytons have a second lever on the side?

I think my parents have one of these, the A-B bit on the front is just an indicator, then on the side is a little black arm you can push along then press in to lock to manually engage the valve.

Ok thanks....sounds like I have my answer...when you say with everything turned off do you just mean htg & HW off at timer or more off than that?!!

Really appreciate you taking the time to help me here :D

Not sure if you can answer another query I have...cheeky I know!

I recently had a gas fire removed from lounge (by a gas safe engineer). There is a vent in the floor of the room that I think may have been cut in when the fire was fitted...as I am about to have new carpet fitted though I would check if the vent was for the fire and if I can block it? Would you know??

Yes, ch and hw off at programmer. If the valve, you may be able to change the head seperately. Saves draining down.

I don't touch fires, but if there are no gas appliances in the room, should be OK to block vent. Poss was for the fire, or maybe back boiler if there was one in the past.

You are a legend...thank you so much for you help :D

Will block the vent and look at getting the valve changed or just see if we can get boiler changed sooner!

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back