No hot water in taps!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with getting hot water from my taps. I have a gas boiler. it comes on, heats the rads but not the water to the taps. It was working fine until Sunday morning. Had plenty of snow on friday night/saturday. the shower and taps had hot water going to them. But on Sunday morning, despite the heating being on for over an hour we had no hot water. it just runs cold despite leaving it on for a few mins. The only way I could get hot water to the taps was to turn on the immersion in the hotpress.
Someone suggested that i turn down the thermostat on the tank in the hotpress. I tried this but didn't work.

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Just been looking at the cylinder tank, I've thecked the thermostat and 2 port valve to make sure there was power going to them all and there is. When the boiler is on the pipe to the left of the 2 port valve becomes hot however the pipe to its right (heading into/out of the tank)

Sponsored Links
the motor has probably gone on your hot water motorised valve, in the mean time there is a manual lever on the side that can be moved over so you get HW when the heating is on

Thanks for that, i'll change it over as it is getting annoying having to wake up early to turn on immersion to have the hot water for a shower. i'll look into replacing it asap. in the meantime is it ok to leave it in the manual position for the moment. We are fairly snowed in here so i reckon i'll have difficulty getting someone to call out to sort it out.

Until now I was thinking it may have been the thermostat that was on the blink

P.s. we bought the house new and since we moved in 4 and half years ago the thermostat has been set to 80 degrees, should it be that high?

i've attempted to switch over the lever but it is not co-operating. i have managed to move about half way across but it feels like i've forced it, when i move it back to the auto position it doesn't offer any resistance.

with the other valve as soon as i attempt to move the lever it sounds like the motor is turning. this was not the case with the first valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back