Hot water tank weeping constantly ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if this pipe is supposed to be weeping constantly? It comes from the water tank and exits in the garden at the back of the house. It has quite a steady flow on it, but more than a drip.

You can see it exit the water tank in pic 1

We have an underfloor heating system, not in use right now , it's turned off.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Something wrong or normal ?

Sponsored Links
Not normal. You have an unvented hot water system, the tun dish (photo 1) and external pipe are part of the safety system. Most likely the combination valve's pressure relief valve is letting by. You need to get it seen to by someone with a "G3" certificate. These cylinders can be dangerous, and should be serviced annually. It is NOT a DIY job.

It's difficult to tell from the second photo but is the red expansion vessel connected to the cold water inlet group of the cylinder ?

Get an unvented qualified professional in to diagnose ASAP, something needs fixed. As OB mentions, unvented systems are not to be played with and needs a qualified professional to work on it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys , I'll call someone in the morning ... Anything I should do in the meantime ? I'm assuming it can wait until someone can get round ... Or no?

Only one flexi pipe connecting the red tank to a group ... Extra pic. The flexi is the 2nd pipe from the back with the bend on it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 142
Get the expansion vessel changed for one suitable for potable water (normally white or blue) the red one is for central heating and will rot out and flood your house.

Thanks Picasso , the system can't be older than about 6 years , we moved in about 5 months ago and it's nothing like the old system we had in our previous house. I'll call someone tommoz

Is that the wrong tank for the system ? What's a guesstimate on getting it sorted ?

About £50 for the expansion vessel and no idea what it will cost for labour as the cylinder probably needs a service as well.

Get your un-vented chap out, ask him if the red vessel is attached to the safety group of the cylinder and if so is it marked for potable water. As D mentions normally it would normally be white or blue, is there another blue or white vessel in that cupboard? That one may be connected to the CH circuit so get your chap to check. One more night shouldn't be an issue but do get it looked at tomorrow!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back