Hot water tap wont turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sink in my utility room with a monoblock tap. Today the tap would not turn off, it would turn but had no affect on water flow.
First i need to turn off the supply to the utility room, there is no isolation valve under the sink, so i presume i need to do this at the hot water cylinder?
There are loads of valves next to the hot water cylinder, how can i tell which one is which?
I'm assuming this will be a replace not a repair job?
I have no plumbing experience however i will have to attempt this myself, any pointers advice going would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There should be a valve on the supply to the hot water cylinder.

Find the pipe which enters the cylinder at the lowest point and trace back until you find a valve, close the valve and within a minute or so the water should stop.

Alternatively, trace the hot pipe back from the sink and look for an in-line isolator somewhere near to the tap itself.

The hot tap is missing a circlip which retains the headgear or possibly the washer has disintegrated.

ok thanks I've turned off the water supply now.
Had to isolate at the tank as there is no isolation switch on the line.

Looking under the sink, it is very tight i think changing the tap is going to be pretty awkward

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back