Hot water thermostat loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted a few days ago that my domestic hot water was very, very hot. I linked that to me having increased the boiler flow temp. Well today I decided to investigate more and I see that my HW thermostat is attached low down on the cylinder but the white wire thing that was securing it has come off. I'm assuming that the stat is being held by the cylinder's insulation at the moment, so could this be the cause of my problem. Yes, I did try to re-attach the wire but it's catching on something behind the cylinder and I can't shift it (I can hold the two ends though). When I gave it a tug the cylinder wobbled and scared me a bit, so I think it's being held by a pipe or caught in a crack in the floorboards (can't see behind, of course). It's a Honeywell thermostat and I'm assuming that the wire is specially designed for the cylinder circumference. Can I buy one of these separately? It's a slim-fit cylinder designed for narrow spaces (like my airing cupboard). I suppose a length of twine might do the trick - any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
If it’s not making the correct contact with the cylinder, then yea can affect the temperature. Search for net curtain wire/cable

Last edited:
Thanks, I suspected as much. I've taped it in for the moment with some of that strong black tape and it's definitely sitting snugger but I expect that the heat will affect the adhesion in a day or two.

Reactions: CBW
Yes. The stat must be attached to the tank to work properly. You need to do this as a matter of some urgency. In the meantime turn the temperature right down and get it as close to the tank as possible.

If you can’t do this turn the water heating from the boiler off

Sponsored Links
Regardless of the HW cylinder stat, the HW can not get any hotter than the set temperature on the boiler, if it is getting hotter than the boiler is set at, then you must have turned the immersion heater on

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks for the advice. My flow temperature dial (Worcester Greenstar Ri) shows just a black arc which gets increasingly thicker towards a 'max' marking. What temperature am I at now, for instance? (The cylinder stat is clearly marked from 40 to 80 and it's at 60 at the moment).

Attachments

• 20240119_101514.jpg
    20240119_101514.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 15

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back