Hot water timings/temperature question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to work out how best to heat my hot water. I have a traditional boiler downstairs and hot water tank in the airing cupboard. I live on my own in a 4 bed house.

The thermostat on the hot water tank is 60-65 which I believe is the recommended temp.

Currently Hive heats the hot water twice daily between 7am and 9am and 4pm and 9.30pm. Does it need to be heating this much? Or does it just heat up to the thermostat temp and therefore not really matter how long the time window is?

Any tips gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
With a stored hot water system like yours, all Hive does when it allows the boiler to heat the water (7am-9am and 4pm-9.30pm) is allow the system to heat the water until the thermostat on the tank is happy and the system shuts down. So long as you are happy with the temperature of the stored water (its not too hot or too cold at the hot taps) all is well. You could try reducing the time Hive is allowing water heating (say 7am-8am and 4pm -8.30pm) leave it a week and see if you are happy with those settings

With a stored hot water system like yours, all Hive does when it allows the boiler to heat the water (7am-9am and 4pm-9.30pm) is allow the system to heat the water until the thermostat on the tank is happy and the system shuts down. So long as you are happy with the temperature of the stored water (its not too hot or too cold at the hot taps) all is well. You could try reducing the time Hive is allowing water heating (say 7am-8am and 4pm -8.30pm) leave it a week and see if you are happy with those settings

Thanks that's make sense. I'll give it a try.

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to work out how best to heat my hot water. I have a traditional boiler downstairs and hot water tank in the airing cupboard. I live on my own in a 4 bed house.

The thermostat on the hot water tank is 60-65 which I believe is the recommended temp.

Currently Hive heats the hot water twice daily between 7am and 9am and 4pm and 9.30pm. Does it need to be heating this much? Or does it just heat up to the thermostat temp and therefore not really matter how long the time window is?

Any tips gratefully received!
I also live on my own in a 3-bedroom house!
If your HW cylinder is well insulated, preferably factory-applied foam, I would leave the HW on 24/7. The temperature won't fall much below stat setting in the off time, so heat loss over a day will hardly change. In any case lost heat still ends up in the house. Also if you have W-plan system (either/or diverter valve, not mid-position, with HW preference) HW is likely to be called when the time starts and you have to wait for CH.
I run the CH 24/7 as well. I find if it's on a timer, since the walls, furniture etc are cold when it comes on the air temperature has to be a bit higher for the same comfort level. I doubt there's much difference in costs. But maybe it depends on your lifestyle, you might like to experiment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back