Hot Water Too Hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Keen DIY'er slight problem with my central heating. Y plan central heating system. Hot water is very very hot. CHANGED:- Tank Thermostat, Actuator Head, 3 Port Valve, Checked Programmer temporarily fitted a neighbours. What else could cause hot water to heat well over 60°C as set by tank thermostat..? Tank does have immersion heater but its not switched on..

Please Help !!

Gav

Sponsored Links
Thermostat 1/3rd up from bottom of tank.

Hot water rises.

Boiler runs circa 75 degrees.

Go figure.

;)

Thanks Dan

Tank Stat never been moved in same place for 12 years. Hot water just started to get hot. As I said changed likely suspects but still hot..

Or are you saying lower tank stat to about 50°C ?

Lowering the stat. Would be a good test.

Has your immersion been accidentally turned on?

Sponsored Links
Immersion is definately off? What type of actuator have you got, some can play silly beggars, esp the Sunvic models.

Immersion definitely OFF (no light on switch). The actuator was swapped like for like replacement Danfoss HSA3 and a Danfoss HSV3 Valve. Ive read danfoss are not the best either..

Thanks

Never had any major problems with danfoss. No worse than any other IMO

I think u need to do some testing

Turn hw to constant/on
Turn cylinder stat up.- hsa3 valve should motor open and boiler should fire.
Turn cylinder stat Down- valve should close and boiler turn off

Does this happen?

Immersion definitely OFF (no light on switch)..

Thanks

So, if you asked a gaggle/gossip (or whatever the collective noun for 'plumbers' is...) of plumbers how often a boiler/immersion heater switch has been installed with incorrect polarity, upside down, neon indicator blown etc you might be unpleasantly surprised (as has many of us who 'assume' - the first time only-that off is is indeed off).

Take a voltage reading (carefully) at the terminals on the Imm Htr to see if it truly 'OFF', or not.

And turn off the boiler, to see if temp still rises.

DH

I can isolate immersion from main consumer unit so I know its definitely off. The only possibility is the tank stat has been turned either by one of my children or when something has been removed that we store in the airing cupboard. ive just set it to 60°c as I've read this is the required setting to kill bacteria. It could have been set lower. Unfortunately I don't have a thermometer to test water temp.

Gav

Have you tested it as I've suggested?

OK heating turned on constant, turn tank thermostat turned up until a click, Pump starts going , Boiler fires up, Actuator does NOT move..

Tank thermostat turned down until a click boiler and pump both stop shortly afterwards, actuator does NOT move again..

Gav

UPDATE

Ran a few checks..

Heating on constant : Turn Room Thermostat UP, Boiler fires up and pump starts and Actuator moves, Turn Room Stat down Actuator turns back. pump goes off as does boiler

Still with Heating turned on I turned Hot water on constant . Turned Tank stat up Actuator moves, Turned tank stat down actuator turns back.

hope you understand

Gav

Your cyl stat is wired incorrectly by the sounds of it check the wiring

Matt

Really?

OP - 60c is HOT. Like steaming hot

How do you know its over 60c if you havent got a thermostat to test it? I wouldnt hold my hand under 60c water.

Any temp over 50c is safe for HW, 55c is an average.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back