Hot water with unpressurised CH system..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm going to have to replace the filling loop on my Sime 90 combi boiler, or at least the non-return valve that connects to the CH return pipe.

The heating is currently at 0 bar - can I still use the hot water in the meantime, or am I missing something with regard to the 'sealed' CH idea?

On the subject of filling loops - do the regulations now specify the 'R24' version, and what's the difference between this and the older type?

Thanks!

Alan.

Sponsored Links
Heating and hot water have no physical connection, so the system pressure is not relevant.

The new filling loops have a stop valve at each end, but the double check valve is on the mains side now and not on the appliance side. This is because loonies were using the filling loop connection as a convenient water connection for other purposes. The problem with the new ones is you have to remember to shut both valves before you disconnect the loop ot water gushes from both connections.

...for the quick reply. I'll go wash the dishes then!

Alan.

Some combi's when the pressure falls to a certain level will not fire up on either hot water or heating (it is a safety function).
However Oilman is right most will still fire up.

Sponsored Links
So the filling loop I have at the moment has a (slightly leaky) ball valve at the mains end and the (very leaky) non-return valve (is this the 'double-check' valve your refer to?) at the boiler end.

When I disconnct the filling loop I get the central heating water pouring out via the non-return valve at the boiler end. I can't turn this off, and I can't get a proper water-tight connection with a stop-end as I'm having to screw it on with water squirting out.

Does this make sense? I'm a little bit surprised that the non-return/double-check valve doesn't work any more - should I be?!

Cheers,

Alan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back