Filling loop not working, non-return valve wrong direction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was taking a look at the Ideal Logic+ 30 combi boiler we have installed (moved in 2.5 years ago, think it's about 9 years old) and saw the pressure gauge was on 0.5 bar so after googling/looking at the manual I figured it needed topping up (no errors yet though).

There is a connected filling loop (see pic) but turning both valves does nothing. Looking closer at the valves there are arrows on each but it seems that the one on the black valve for the CH return is facing back up the filling loop (can just about see in the pic).

Would this be a non-return valve that is facing the wrong way and stopping the filling from the cold water to the CH return?

There is another valve on the CH return just up from that one, I assume this would isolate that filling loop section and allow me to flip around the valve and get it working?

IMG_20200329_210940.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_210940.jpg
    IMG_20200329_210940.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 764
Sponsored Links
If one of them is fitted the wrong way round, how would they have filled the system in the first place?

Sponsored Links
They are the factory supplied valves and really only go on one way, as @Bodd mentions, very unlikely they are fitted incorrectly. You have to have the taps in the correct position though.

If I remember rightly the positions of the valve handles aren't the same as with normal filling loops where all the valve handles are in line with the flow, would need to check the MI.

Does this help?
I found the same but setup is slightly different with another valve on the DHW filling loop. In any case, any combination of valve positions does nothing.

These valves can get stuck, but is unlikely to be fitted the wrong way round
I disconnected the filling loop and only got a continuous dribble of water from DHW side when valves opened. I then removed the valve itself and does appear stuck with not being able to blow air through in either direction, tried "poking it" inside with screwdriver but no change so does look like that is the problem and need to replace. Thanks.

If your confident enough. There is no reason why you could not fit a universal loop across the min and return pipes

I've found the exact parts I've got with the blue valve being the one stuck (I also removed the plastic lever and turned the spindle manually) but of course I don't want to buy a whole kit for one parr: https://www.heatingspares247.com/product/ideal-filling-loop-pack-176671/

From the manual here (https://www.heatingspares247.com/media/Aditional_Content/Boiler_Manuals/Ideal/Ideal Logic+ Combi Installation Manual.pdf) and in person it looks like 3/8" fittings which I have to admit I've never seen before, anyone know what would be the cheapest/easiest replacement?

Would one/two of these with a 15mm check valve work? https://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-tap-connector-15mm-x-x-300mm/1668g

At least it's not showing an error yet and the boiler is still functioning normally...

Last edited:
Just an update in case this is of use to anyone in future. I did manage to top up the CH system successfully by removing the blocked valve on the water inlet side (blue in pics before), after turning off the main of course. Then connected up a 15MM X ⅜" flexible tap connector (one from Screwfix in post above) with the 3/8 end fitting onto the threaded 3/8 pipe. The other end of the flex then gave a 1/2 thread after taking off the nut and 15mm olive (and now have spare).

On the CH side (black in pics) I left the valve in place and used a 1/2" x 3/8" bush (Screwfix: https://www.screwfix.com/p/bush-x-3-8/87443) to connect up to the thread on the end of the valve (where 3/8 cap could/should go). No o rings or anything, just well tightened and hoped that would seal ok...

With the two 1/2 threads I then "borrowed" our standard? shower hose to connect between the two. With it all connected and it being just a bit of a bodge I had my housemate open the main stop cock slowly whilst on the phone and a watched the connections for any disasters. With just a few drips from the not well sealed bush I then opened the black CH filling valve slowly and listened for the water and watched the CH pressure gauge. With no check/non return valve to prevent the CH system water entering the mains this was of course far from ideal/against regs and why I kept an eye on the pressure gauge for any drop. Luckily though the bodge worked and the pressure slowly increased. Then when up to 1.5 bar I closed off the CH filling valve, turned the mains back off and removed the 1/2" parts to leave 3/8" threads to seal everything up with the 3/8" caps we still had.

Bit of a faff but tried to do for as little expense as possible and hopefully useful in case someone has a similar issue in future. Simply replacing the faulty check/non return valve would of course have been the easiest solution but with 3/8 fittings I couldn't find any easily available, especially with the ongoing coronavirus pandemic situation. Also, a 3/8 to 3/8 flex would have been nice and saved the bush/shower hose/tap flex combination.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back