Hot water working but Heating Keeps cutting out..PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, i have a potterton 100e combi boiler that has been making some moans and groans recently, and today has partly packed in. the hot water works fine but the heating cuts out after only a few seconds, i took the front cover off and felt the pump was scolding hot.after turning the boiler of for an hour or so when turned back on the heating worked ok for a minute or so but the pump got hot once again and the heating cut out again.i have checked to see if the pump is siezed but it turns fairly easily. I bled the heating system and noticed black water from an upstairs rad.has anybody any advice where to start.please help! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Just a moment while I think!

Tony Glazier

It sounds as if you have little or no flow through your heating system.

Was it working within the last few days?

Are all the rad valves turned off?

Are TRVs stuck?

Is it sludged up?

Is the diverter valve stuck in the DHW position?

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
thankyou for the reply tony,the boiler has been off all night and day. i turned it on again an hour or so ago and it is all working again. i have noticed recently that the pressure needs topping up every week or so. could the system need a flush, with what and how would i go about that. many thanks mark......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back