Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a holiday house in France, which I visit five or six times a year. The hot water, for shower and washing only, is supplied by an electric wall mounted immersion heater. When I leave the house I turn off the electric and water supply. There is no separate header tank/vent, and I don't drain, just turn off the cold water supply to all the house.
When I visit the house the water and electricity go on. At this point I can get cold water through the cold water taps, but no water at all from the hot water taps. It is taking about two to three days to get any water to come through the hot water taps, when it does the water is hot.
I am aware that the french electric system has low and high tariff times and there is a switch/fuse to ensure the water heats-up on the low tariff, when I arrive at the house I go to manual override.
Does anybody have any idea why it is taking so long, it seems to be getting longer and longer to heat-up?
The immersion tank is probably about 10 years old.
I am considering draining all the cold water out of the tank on my next visit before turning the water on to see if re-setting it will help.
Any other thoughts or ideas out there?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't have a picture, the manufacturer is Atlantic (they haven't replied to my request for help).
As stated it is wall mounted, about 6 foot tall, with the cold water feed, hot water out and pressure release valve in the base.
Hope this helps

Just had a look at Atlantics site(if that was them) and they are unvented cylinders and heated by immersion elements.I am not familiar with the brand but would suspect failing elements and/or scale build up.Sorry for not being more specific.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your contribution.
On my next visit I will drain the cylinder and refill and see if that makes any diference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back