hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just drained the water system as i needed to remove a radiator but now i cannot get any hot water through my taps. what have i done wrong

Sponsored Links
Don't know you'd better give us a clue about what sort of system you have and what you drained.

Can't you read ollski? It's a water system :rolleyes:

errrmmmm???? not sure what sort of system, all i know is the boiler is back of the gas fire and the water tank upstairs. i wanted to remove the radiator from the kitchen so i put hose pipe onto the valve thingy underneath. i also turned every valve or tap off that i could find in the airing cupboard. the rad pipes in the kitchen now have stop valves on. i can now get hot water through the taps but not for long when all the water runs out. could there be air in the system if so how do i get rid of it.

Sponsored Links
your gate valve feweding the cylinder hasnt opened properly, after you turned everything in the airing cupboard, and probably needs replacment

after draining the system how long does it take to refill and reach correct pressure?

As Corgiman has said,

your gate valve feweding the cylinder hasnt opened properly, after you turned everything in the airing cupboard, and probably needs replacment.
Suggest you check this out first, and even then you may end up with an airlock. Could be why you have no hot water , do you have water in the radiators !

yes, all the radiators are hot and have been bled. i have hot water coming through the taps now but only a trickle.
when i removed the radiator i capped off the pipes, would that have caused my problem.
thanks

mart104 said:
after draining the system how long does it take to refill and reach correct pressure?
Well-if its the heating circuit you've drained then it shouldn't have any effect on the hot water unless like the earlier poster said-when turning off the gate valve on the cold feed to the h/w cylinder it has not fully opened again-old gate valves are prone to sticking or snapping due to metal fatigue and only way to cure this is to replace the gate valve. If you look in the large cistern in your loft and it is full of water then you should have water from your hot tap-unless valve closed or airlock.
Chris

Possibly, still say theres a problem between header tank, gate valve and tank. :)

no it would not have

did you or did you not turn off all the valves in your airing cupboard?

Sorry Corgiman, but chap did say he had turned every valve he could find in the airing cupboard.

Getting a little confused as to what hes touched and what he hasnt. ;)

everything is turned backon.
and you think you're confused how do ya think i feel :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back