Hotel style reading lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a bed and I want to install two reading lights to the headboard. I would like to have 2x 2 gang dimmable switches on each side of the bed so I can dim/switch each light from both sides. I'm planing to have all the circuit done behind the headboard and then switch it to a wall plug. Does this seem feasible?

A few questions in my beginner's mind:
Can I do this with two normal wall lamps that connect to the mains?
For LEDs, would it be better to have the transformer separately or incorporated in the lamp?
Would it be ok to connect the whole thing to one socket?
I've read that dimmable LED can be tricky, any special consideration to have in mind?

Lastly, in the perfect world, I would also have a switch next to the bedroom door, but I'm not sure this is even possible without having to break the walls.

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 16.47.15.png

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
we have these, which we first saw in a hotel room and worked well
purchased in a local light/carpet shop
not been the most reliable , but been great for directing light when reading

Orginal the USB worked regardless of the light on/off - then we had to replace one underwarranty and that needs one of the lights to be on for the USB to owrk

Wired to a fused spur

Not sure how isolating those spot light may be , i have used at hotels and NOT great

Sponsored Links
Orginal the USB worked regardless of the light on/off - then we had to replace one underwarranty and that needs one of the lights to be on for the USB to owrk

What USB, there is no mention of USB in the description.

mine also has USB charger - exactly the same style as that one , but with a USB charger - no name on mine and purchased at a local shop a couple of years or so ago - before covid, and i know they nolonger have any more , as i took the last one in exchange for warranty , and they could nolonger get them

I'm building a bed and I want to install two reading lights to the headboard. I would like to have 2x 2 gang dimmable switches on each side of the bed so I can dim/switch each light from both sides. I'm planing to have all the circuit done behind the headboard and then switch it to a wall plug. Does this seem feasible?
To achieve that with 2-gange switches on each side of the bed would be "child's play", but to have each light controlled by two dimmers might (depending upon the dimmers be somewhat more of a challenge.

I have almost that arrangement in my bedroom, but with just one dimmer (and one other switch) on each side. The dimmer controls the brightness (as well as on/off) of the light on its side of the bed, whereas the switch switches on/off the light on the other side (whose brightness, when 'on', is controlled by the differ on its side of the bed.

For LEDs, would it be better to have the transformer separately or incorporated in the lamp?
Mains-powered LED lamps/bulbs do not require an additional transformer anywhere.
Lastly, in the perfect world, I would also have a switch next to the bedroom door, but I'm not sure this is even possible without having to break the walls.
Adding a switch (or switches) by the door would, electrically-speaking, be straightforward, but to what extent the walls would have to be damaged to install the wiring would depend on gthe situation. However, there are some clever things like "Quinetic" switches which require no wiring at all (working by very low power 'wireless' communication).

Kind Regards, John

I use a kindle paperwhite for reading in bed - don’t even need to have light on in the room.

@JohnW2, thank you very much for all the info.
I have almost that arrangement in my bedroom, but with just one dimmer (and one other switch) on each side.
Something like this? That would work for us, your arrangement would be ideal.

In terms of wiring, would I just connect a lead to the socket, split it into two sides and then wire a 2 way, 2 gang?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back