Mains dimmable led striplights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Front room has 3x ceiling lights controlled by 2x switches. One switch controls 1x light, the other controls 2x lights.

Wifey would like 2x led striplights hidden on the pelmet of each window, controlled by a single dimmer.

I can remove the 2x ceiling roses and use MF junction boxes get power to the pelmets by lifting floorboards in the room above.

In my simple mind, I replace the switch with an LED dimmer (the varilight pro can be toggled for either trailing edge or leading edge), and, connect 240v dimmable strip lights over the pelments. Something like this https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Strip-...Waterproof-Commercial-Xmas-Light/174391410756

I'm sure it's not going to be that simple. Can anyone please advise?

Also mildy concerned about unbranded chinesium electric tat. If this is a valid concern, can anyone suggest something better to achieve this?

Key thing is to use a dimmer switch on the wall to control them.

Thank you

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The stuff in your link will only dim using the Dimmer thats moulded into the cable between the plug and the tape. It will not dim from a Wall dimmer.
I dont recall any of that flat type type suitable for Dimming as you plan from a wall mounted switch

I thought it wouldn't be that simple, hence the question.
Im guessing a series of v.small dimmable e14 leds would work, however won't give the strip effect wifey desires.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Yes, I find 24 volt stuff seems more reliable than 12 volt but bit dearer and harder to source, this works via a Dimmable power supply which is run from mains voltage, this tape is easier to dim, as you actually Dim the power supply rather than the tape direct, which in turn dims the tape.
Therefore you can use a mains dimmer, the Triac they mension is a component already built into the dimmer.

However all 3 bits have to be compatible or you will likely have issues.

Luckily firms like you link to test for this, so if you get all bits as they recommend, not necessarily via them, at least you have some comeback if there is issues.
Dimming can often be problematic otherwise.

If you want Mains lights as in your original post, an option is to use a standard on/off wallswitch and Dim at the windows, using a Remote, these often give the addition of colour change also.
You can get from Uk sources the stuff you initially posted., though you can never be certain its not the same stuff as it all seems to come from china, but you would like to think Uk companies want to keep a good reputation.

Led tape has rows of leds, usually 12v or 24v and are usually noticeably visible, if you want a consistent strip of light there is a fatter stuff usually called Led Rope, being 240volt

https://hartingtonheath.com/product...bOXQJrrxJudgyIFkCSrXha432qmThfC4aAvE8EALw_wcB

Last edited:
However all 3 bits have to be compatible or you will likely have issues.
As per recent topic about low voltage LED bulbs and older one about intelligent thermostats, if you want dimmable LED strips install a complete end-to-end system rather than trying to piggy back onto a dimmer switch designed to work with something else.

The company I linked to in my later post provide end to end systems that work with the varilight vpro dimmer.
Which is a stroke of luck as thats what we have.
Thank you both

This is exactly what I did. Normally I buy cheap LED kit from China. In this case I went to a decent quality UK supplier and bought 24v tape and power supply that they said would work with a v Pro.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back