Hotpoint BCI450 Dishwasher Failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Whilst mid-cycle our dishwasher decided to trip the ring main RCD and belch out a load of toxic fumes.

On closer inspection I've found that the wiring connector to the inline heating element to be totally melted... I've checked the following:

1. Resistance between load terminals of the heating element - there is continuity.
2. Resistance between either heating element load terminal and Earth - there is no continuity.
3. Resistance between melted dishwasher load wiring and Earth - there is no continuity.
4. General condition of the PCB - no burn marks or water damage.

Originally I figured it must have been the heating element that was at fault - however - I'm not so sure now given the above eletrical testing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, I noticed on the underside of the PCB is a small push button and five (or so) LEDs - presuming this is some test feature of the PCB, can anyone shed any light on whether this will help identify whether it itself is faulty?

Thanks,
Ben.

Sponsored Links
I think you are confusing the panel card with the pcb.
The panel card is in the left hand side of the control panel...it has a micro-switch & 6 LED's

The micro-switch on the pcb is the on/off button!!! Right hand LED is the on/off indicator & one of the LH side LED's should be the low salt indicator. The rest are redundant. What caused the element connector/cables to melt??? A simple short..the big question is; has it damaged any pcb components :?:

Sponsored Links
Blew RCD, nasty smell, diswasher didn't work.
Taking it apart, the heater element plast connector had melted causing a short. The heater element was OK though, so I cut away the burnt plastic on the element, cut off the burnt connector and crimped on 2 new insulated spade connectors. The rest of the wiring hadn't melted thankfully.
It all works.... except I now have a small leak somewhere which is causing the polystyrene float thing to switch on, putting the machine in emergency mode after a couple of cycles.

I just have to get hold of the very hard to find Oetiker 31.6mm hose clamps now.

As to the original cause of the fault. I suspect water getting on to the heater element connector, but cannot yet confirm this, or detect where it might come from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back