Hotpoint WDL5490 blowing fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all...This is my first post, and i'm at a loss at the moment.
I have a Hotpoint Aquarius Washer Dryer that has been playing up for a while with the dreaded flashing lights on the front....and has now decided to blow fuses!
After checking, it seems to be blowing on the Neutral side of the main heating element below the drum. Would it be a case of just replacing the element, or would it be related to the PCB on the bottom left?
I tested the element with a multi-meter but was surprised it wasn't showing a short across to Earth....! This has left me confused, Please can anyone help...??

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the element & insulate the connectors then try it again. If it stops blowing the fuse then the element is probably faulty with the insulation only breaking down under load conditions.

Many Thanks jj4091 for your swift reply.
I did as you suggested and it didn't blow any more.
I was given false information by a domestic appliance shop before coming on here. I metered across the terminals and it showed an open circuit. It wasn't until i removed the element that it was evidently blown.
Would this i wonder be related to the flashing lights syndrome that seems common on Hotpoints...?

Sponsored Links
Flashing lights usually indicate an error code, perhaps it was recognising that the water was not heating or some other defect, but until you rectify the problem with the fuse blowing you won't know if you have another fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back