Hotpoint BF71 Dishwasher not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Hotpoint BF71 dishwasher (I believe it is a Bosch in disguise). It’s around 20 years old.

When we start it we can hear a motor noise (like a humming) but nothing actually happens. There is about 1cm of water at the very bottom of the dishwasher and the filters are clean. The timer goes down but nothing is happening apart from the humming noise which stops after about 10mins. No errors are shown on the Display.

I feel like it is a blocked water inlet but before I take it all apart (it’s an integrated one and the water inlet is a pain to get to) I thought I would ask here.

Any ideas what else it could be? Or is it time for a new one?

Sponsored Links
No help to you but we had exactly the same dishwasher, 21 years old and the same problem. At 2I years old I cut my losses and replaced it with another Hotpoint. New ones are much quieter, cheaper to run and wash better.

8571D549-B2D1-434F-97E4-313E24F1DFD3.jpeg

No help to you but we had exactly the same dishwasher, 21 years old and the same problem. At 2I years old I cut my losses and replaced it with another Hotpoint. New ones are much quieter, cheaper to run and wash better.

View attachment 298949
Thanks, have you got a link to your thread and which brand/model did you replace it with?

Thanks, have you got a link to your thread and which brand/model did you replace it with?
Didn’t actually start a specific thread on it being broken, I just mentioned it in a few others. Search 'dishwasher' under my user name. (y)

I replaced it with THIS

Sponsored Links
We tried tipping it back 45 degrees to see if it would reset the flood sensor but it made no difference. Checked for blockages under the filters and it was all clear.

Managed to reset the controls by pressing the 65c and 55c buttons together and that got the drain pump to kick in, but when running a normal cycle it filled to 1cm again then made the buzzing noise. I reckon the main motor has given up as its getting water and draining it.

The control panel was packing in too (pressing short wash activated the delay start button) and the detergent dispenser hasn't worked for years so it's being sent to the recycling centre! Replaced it with a Bosch.

The control panel was packing in too (pressing short wash activated the delay start button) and the detergent dispenser hasn't worked for years so it's being sent to the recycling centre! Replaced it with a Bosch.
You made the right decision. You've well had your money's worth out of it and you'd only be chucking good money after bad. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back