Hotpoint Condenser Tension Pulley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Hotpoint dryer condenser decided to stop spinning last week, now we're back from holiday I'm tasked with trying to fix it.

Model: Hotpoint SUTCD97B6PM(UK)
Industrial Code: 95868089800

Opening up the side, I saw that the belt was partially shredded and had come off the white tension pulley: . Managed to fix this temporarily and ordered a replacement belt.

What I did notice in the days leading up to it breaking is the sound - it was making an unusual sound which sounded like it was coming from the bottom fan (which I now know is directly next to the tension pulley). Having put the belt back on, I could 'see' what was causing the sound in the first place - the tension pulley:
Didn't think much of it until the new belt came yesterday - I assumed the old belt was perhaps causing an imbalance on the tension pulley and would fix itself when I replaced it. Managed to get the new belt on, then went to make sure the tension pulley was secure before popping the new belt over it and it basically just popped right off, and the 'bits' that were inside it look as if they have broken:
Anyone have a suggestion on how this can/should be fixed?

Having a look on the Hotpoint Spare Parts, it looked like Part 623 would be the one I need but that's just a Jockey Wheel Circlip and I can't figure out what exactly that is for - it doesn't look like any of the 3 bits which were 'under' the tension pulley/look broken and I don't see it anywhere else. Perhaps that's snapped off and is what is missing or is everything actually fine?

I haven't yet just tried to put on the new belt and see what happens but I'm mighty tempted to try it today as we've got a load of clothes to wash and dry!

Sponsored Links
Looks to be the remnants of a bearing for that pulley/jockey wheel.
A complete tension pulley with bearing (and even fixing bracket?) may be advisable.

The circlip would either hold a different style wheel in place (or that one when it had a complete bearing, press-fit, in the centre?

I would probably be foolish to attempt use without a wheel and bearing complete.

Looks to be the remnants of a bearing for that pulley/jockey wheel.
A complete tension pulley with bearing (and even fixing bracket?) may be advisable.

The circlip would either hold a different style wheel in place (or that one when it had a complete bearing, press-fit, in the centre?

I would probably be foolish to attempt use without a wheel and bearing complete.

Funny you mention that - I‘ve since had another look and actually found 3 ball bearings sat at the bottom, under the pulley.

The last time I replaced a belt on my tumble drier I went to my local Euronics store. I gave the guy the dimensions for the belt. He obviously didn't have the correct size and assured me that a slightly smaller one would, in time, stretch.

Two days later I had to replace the whole tension pully fitting and purchase the correct belt.

I am glad that you have the correct belt size.

Sponsored Links
@Burnerman - you were correct! The inner track was still on the jockey shaft. It only came off when I took the nut off the end.

@jj4091 - great find!

I ordered both the part @jj4091 found and also this espares Jockey Wheel replacement. It turns out that they’re both the same size, just a different material/make up of the inner track. I suspect the espares one would work fine, but I ended up using the Hotpoint one to justify spending that amount on it.

All appears to be fixed! Will do a full load tomorrow to confirm. So a new belt and jockey wheel is what was needed.

Thanks all. Hope this post helps someone in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back