Tumble drier belt lengths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hotpoint TL61 belt died the other day.

A local Euronics sold me a new belt, insisting that it would be ok.

On comparing it to the original it seemed shorter. The belt I purchased was 1860mm, it seems the correct length is 1894mm.

I rang the shop and they insisted that it will stretch.

To get the belt on I had to remove the spring from the tension pulleys and use two screw drivers to get the belt over the drive shaft. Putting the spring back took about 2hours of grunting and swearing. In the end I had to use two clamps in spreader mode to push the arms together, bracing off the side panels.

I have since spoken to someone who suggests that the belt length is less of an issue provided that there are no tension pulleys.

I tested it for 10 minutes and it seemed fine but am I putting the drum and motor under undue pressure?

Should I order a new belt or just see how it goes?

Sponsored Links
You will find the belt will actually stretch with use. If you get a belt that is 1894mm to start with, it will stretch after a short period of usage and actually start to slip thus being ineffective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back