Hotpoint CTD00 spinning, not heating, stats okay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, here's a nice one for you.

I have a Hotpoint Aquarius CTD00, which has been through the wars a bit - it came with the house, and has not worked right since we moved in six months ago.

The first problem was that the 'empty water' light was always on, and it wouldn't spin. Looking this up, I opened the back and hosed the float tank out. Doing this, I noticed the microswitch contacts had rusted through, and the switch appeared to at some point have been on fire. I decided that the switch probably should not look like that, so I washed out the float tank, ordered a new switch, and replaced it.

After some guddling about, the drier now spins fine, but still will not heat. I have cleaned out as much fluff as I can, and have checked continuity on the stats, both of which read as closed circuit.

What do you think I ought to try next? It seems to be in working order apart from the heating thing, and I suspect it just needs a new set of heating elements, but I am loath to fork out for more components if there's a chance that the problem is something which could be fixed with a screwdriver/roll of duct tape/hammer.

I await your reply with interest, and damp jeans.

-Andy

Sponsored Links
Is there power to the heater is the float stuck in the pump.

Float isn't stuck.

I'm not sure how to check whether there's power to the heating unit. Power it up with the back off, do a point to point current check?

Hi
The stats should have continuity through them. They're like a fuse on the house, the weak link that breaks if there's something wrong. When yourun your finger over the shiny part of the stat is should be round and stick out. If it caves in the stats gone (get a drill with a 2mm bit and drill a hole in the back where the coloured dots are, in the centre) use the drill bout to pop the stats back out, they should work now.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Hi - yep, sorry, thought I had said that in the original post. The stats both have continuity through them, hence my confusion!

Haha ok
Is the voltage going to the element when on?
Continuity through the element?
Having said that sometimes you do get gcontinuity throught them but they just don't work, order a new one in that case, they are among the cheaperst of elements youi can buy at about fifteen squid!

I'll have a check of the continuity through the element in the morning. How should I go about checking whether the power is getting to the element? Power it up with the backplate off and do a voltage check across it?

If you are competent enough then yes, alternatively use a non contact voltage detector, not expensive, and that will light up if the voltage is there ito the element

I shall give that a go, thank you!

Shall update tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back