Hotpoint CTD00 tumble - heat but drum not going round?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,
Can anyone help?

Last month,I did the trick of resetting the thermostats using a pin (which worked a treat!)

This time, the drum fails to go round although the elements heat up nicely...there is also a strange water-like/crunchy sound coming from below? and a burning smell (which im guessing is the elements). It sounds like the drum is trying to go round? (Ive checked the belt and it's fine)

Any ideas? Ive just tried to fit a new capacitor (the silver cylinder that sits next to the motor) as some forums have suggested although that's not fixed it.
Could it be the Motor needs replacing? Ive looked in the sump and cleared that out...
Maybe a new machine is needed?
cheers
Mark :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Is the belt tangled round the jockey wheel , that is at the end of the motor.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys - The drum turns by hand without a problem and seems unhindered and the belt seems in great condition too. (Although I'll check tonight to see is the motor works without the belt (as suggested)

how can I check if its a faulty board? - is it worth getting a multimeter?

(much appreciate your commments chaps!) The wife was VERY pleased when i fixed the thing last time with a pin!!

Regards

Mark

You could have a look at the board and check for dry joints or other visible problems. To be honest if it was my own dryer I would be tempted to give up on it and buy a Zanussi or Bosch. These Hotpoint/Creda dryers seem more trouble than they are worth.

You could have a look at the board and check for dry joints or other visible problems. To be honest if it was my own dryer I would be tempted to give up on it and buy a Zanussi or Bosch. These Hotpoint/Creda dryers seem more trouble than they are worth.

Thanks Fidom - I bought the dryer from b&q without doing the research...I have looked it up since and found that it's a dreadful, hateful machine that causes all sorts of problems!!! we're going to purchase a bosh 'vented' machine as the condensers in general are pretty dreadful all round!!! Many thanks for all your help!!! Im not going to spend more money on it as I think its futile...Can I just say that these forums are a god-send when things go wrong and i salute you ALL for helping us simple folk who aren't very DIY minded...Many, many thanks and keep it up!!! cheers

Mark (Exeter, Devon)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back