Hotpoint CTL55P Larder Fridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have the above fridge I bought second hand (£50). It is less than 2 years old. It would still be under warranty, but I don't have proof of purchase. It does not get colder than about 7 degrees. The compressor does not come on unless I heat the fridge up, then ice quickly forms on the back wall. I have maxed the thermostat to coldest (max) setting. It would appear the thermostat may be at fault, but I would have thought that was pretty uncommon as it is mechanical, and should either work or not. I am not that keen to shell out on a genuine part if it is not the problem, but can anyone suggest one of the 'clones' on ebay, which would be suitable ??

I mainly use the fridge to store beer, so 7 degrees is also not a disaster, but the compulsive obsessive in me wants the thing to work as it should !

Sponsored Links
Thermostats failing is a common fault on fridges, given that you bought it second hand I guess it was well defrosted then & that is not the problem. Perhaps that is why the previous owner sold it ( not cooling enough)

Yeah - not needing defrosting ! Can actually hear the compressor kicking in when I warm the interior a bit, then goes off as the temp falls to 8. The previous owners were an old couple, and the fridge was just a temporary measure until they moved into their new house and got a big fridge-freezer.
I have a thermostat from an old fridge, which I could try, as long as the phial is the correct length. Failing that can take the thermostat out, have a look and match it up to a cheap ebay one.

No rush as it is -1 in the garage at the moment !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back