Hotpoint Dishwasher First Edition DF53 - Leak from Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Water leaking from bottom of door at each side.
This machine is 9 years old but in otherwise perfect order, so seems worth saving. I've checked the seals & they seem in very good condition & clean. It's filling, cleaning & emptying OK. I've run it through with cleaner twice. I've taken the sides off and removed various pipes to check they are clean. There are no apparent blockages in the spray arms. I'm in a soft water area & no signs of limescale anywhere.
The machine seems to be slightly overfilling. Consequently there is too much water slooshing about in the bottom of the machine and this is sometimes spilling over the lip at the front under the door. Particularly when the spraying first starts up.
I read in this forum that the fill level is controlled by some kind of float switch, and that this can sometimes be affected by gunge/limescale. Can anyone tell me where the float switch is on this model and what it looks like? I don't want to start pulling apart too many bits without a clue :confused:
Can't see anything in the owners manual & I couldn't find a manual online

Cheers

Don

Sponsored Links
Have a good look at the lower spray arm,they tend to split along the seams sending water out sideways forcing it out of the door.

Hi assuhors,

Spot on - long split in spray arm seam !!
Can't thank you enough. So busy checking all the holes were clear it never occurred to me to look at the seams. :LOL:
The wife ordered & fitted a new one about three months ago. We can't believe it's split this quickly.
Will try to repair with suitable glue & if that doesn't work then will order a new one.

Many thanks again. :D

Don

You could try to weld the seam with a soldering iron if you have one. Just run the iron up the seam.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Diyisfun
Aha, I was just discussing how to seal it with the Mrs & we couldn't decide best method. I've got a soldering Iron & so might as well give it a shot & if it doesn't work then I can still try something else. Otherwise it's £15 odd quid for another spray arm, which is still a lot better than the £200 odd we were thinking a whole new machine would cost.
I'll post back with results.

Hi all,

Tried a soldering iron on the split plastic spray arm seam & it's worked a treat. I even smoothed over rough edges with a nail board, just to add a craftsmanlike finish.
The machine is running as I type & it's now dry as a bone on the outside.
The jobs a good 'un !

Amazing how much satisfaction can be gained from job well done.

Thanks Diyisfun & assuhors for mission critical advice. :D

Don

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back