Hotpoint Dishwasher HFE 2B+26 CN UK does not start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last time it was running it stopped in the middle of the cycle and beeped 3 groups of one short, one long beep. I was able to run the drain cycle.
Now it will not start at all. It turns on, lets me select a program, but just gives me the beeps.
There are no flashing lights indicating an error code.
I've drained it, I've cleaned the filters, I've checked the water supply, I've 'reset' it by unplugging it for an hour, I've made sure the door latches fully, I've checked the base for flooding. All clear and good.

identical to the Whirlpool WFE2B19 as far as I can tell.

Neither the manual, nor hotpoints troubleshooting guide online give any mention to this error state. Hotpoint help chat donkeys say "Noone can give technical support".

I'm stumped.

Link to video of the beeping included.

Thanks.

video

Sponsored Links
**UPDATE**
A neighbour with the same model has had the same issue in the past and said he fixed it by slamming the door shut quite firmly. It's not worked for me but maybe a clue. I guess it's acting like the door isn't closed? It latches fully, and I've even changed the door switch but still no luck.
I've noticed a couple of small dents in the door in some areas where it would meet the rubber seal. Can it detect if a seal is not properly formed?

It could be a latching issue. Not a seal issue, but the latch may not be making contact with a switch or relay so the dishwasher can't tell if the door is closed or not.

Are there any lights illuminating along with the beeps. The ones above each programme often light up and the number that are lit indicate a code.

No flashing lights. The only ones illuminated are the ones showing the program selected, same as normal operation.

Sponsored Links
Very hard to find fault codes or beep codes for this model:

The basic manual does suggest it could be door related if it fails to start.

1702316576117.png

but that is only a very basic "problems" help page in the manual as demonstrated by the first one :LOL: .

Have you tried looking at the catch more closely and seeing if it is engaging correctly. Or even the cost of replacing the catch?

It may only be a cheap part, and if it still has an issue, at least you have excluded it.

(I would avoid bashing the door too hard, and I find the idea of vigorously closing the door rather amusing as a solution :ROFLMAO:)

Last night i tried it again and it started, but stopped again after maybe 10 seconds as if the door had been opened. The start button was flashing.
After trying to start it again it went right back the same old problem. Must be the door / latch

Well, it should be a very easy and cheap fix. Just look for spare parts on ebay. Quite often the parts rarely change, so find the part number and look for the cheapest you can find.

Youtube will have plenty of videos on latch repairs. Dishwashers are usually pretty similar so it is certainly DIYable.

I've already replaced the latch. It was one of the first things I tried

I've found now that the vigorous door closing idea does very temporarily work. Sometimes. But it only works for a few seconds at best and goes right back to behaving as though the door has been opened.

Does the new latch include any switch contacts that might be engaged by the latch? It very much sounds like something is not making a connection or engaging a switch/contact. Look at what the latch connects to. Is there a relay or something that needs replacing.

You might find this useful.

It's a service manual for a Whirlpool that might be very similar. Usually the internals of same brand dishwashers are used across the range and stay the same for a good long while. So all the circuits and fault codes are the same similar.

This includes a parts breakdown and circuit diagram so you should be able to trace all the areas that might impact the door latch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back