Hotpoint FF200e fridge freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Info. please, the bottom of the freezer keeps iceing up.
I removed the back panel to reveal the element and found the drain hole frozen up.
I defrosted this and cleaned it, all was well for about a week then back to square one.
I noticed to the right of the drain trough which is behind the rear panel a small tube with two conductors comeing out of it.
I wondered if this was a low level heater element to stop the drain from freezing.
I have checked the temp. and the freezer is not too cold, the door is not left open.
The unit has been fine for 18 months.
Hotpoint want £104 to come out.
Any one had this problem.

Sponsored Links
how long was it defrosted for and the tubes are thermisters not heaters ,drain hole is blocked with crud did you tip hot water down the hole .

how long was it defrosted for and the tubes are thermisters not heaters ,drain hole is blocked with crud did you tip hot water down the hole .

It was defrosted for several hours assisted with a hair dryer.
Afterwards I passed a stiff wire fully through the drain tube it was fully clear.
What do the thermisters do.
And am I incorrect in thinking that a heater is used.

A thermistor is a type of resistor whose resistance varies with temperature. The word is a portmanteau of thermal and resistor. Thermistors are widely used as inrush current limiters, temperature sensors, self-resetting overcurrent protectors,

Thermistors differ from resistance temperature detectors (RTD) in that the material used in a thermistor is generally a ceramic or polymer, while RTDs use pure metals. The temperature response is also different; RTDs are useful over larger temperature ranges, while thermistors typically achieve a higher precision within a limited temperature range [usually -90C to 130C].
also the defrost heater is on the matrix at the freezer wall just above the drain hole a silver tube liked by 2 wires at the end .

Sponsored Links
A thermistor is a type of resistor whose resistance varies with temperature. The word is a portmanteau of thermal and resistor. Thermistors are widely used as inrush current limiters, temperature sensors, self-resetting overcurrent protectors,

Thermistors differ from resistance temperature detectors (RTD) in that the material used in a thermistor is generally a ceramic or polymer, while RTDs use pure metals. The temperature response is also different; RTDs are useful over larger temperature ranges, while thermistors typically achieve a higher precision within a limited temperature range [usually -90C to 130C].
also the defrost heater is on the matrix at the freezer wall just above the drain hole a silver tube liked by 2 wires at the end .

Thank you for the above, do I assume correctly then that the thermistor will control the the temp. of the freezer.
As the freezer is not getting over cool and the drain is getting blocked only with ice, I feel that the likely cause is the heater not working.
Again I presume the heater runs 24hrs. so providing it has power it will need a replacement.
I am hopeing to check it out over the weekend.

The heaters are on a timer, they should not run all the time on a frost free.

Generally for domestic fridges the heater is switched on for a while (usually around 8 to 12 hours apart) and the fans are turned off to prevent hot air from getting into the freezer food cavity.

Most frost frees require a minimum of 24 hours defrost when they have frozen up (most of the ice is on the heat exchanger behind insulated covers). During the defrost a lot of water generally comes out so you will need to check the evaporator tray on top of the compressor as this will overflow unless regularly drained.

Hello I have the same problem the fridge is warm and have build up of ice at the bottom can't even pull out the bottom tray. I am now going to get a hair dryer and try to work my magic. It's the 3rd time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back