Hotpoint Fridge/Freezer Defrost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a Hotpoint EXFL1810P frost free upright fridge freezer, approximately 20 months old. High temperature alarm came on, both fridge and freezer compartments were affected. Back panel in freezer was iced badly. Removed this and the evaporator was totally iced. Did a full defrost, checked drain hole which is all ok. Noticed that one of the thermistors (there are 2 on the top pipes of the evaporator/heater ) was hanging loose. There is a double thermistor fitted to the back evaporator pipe, it was the single one which was hanging loose. I clipped this onto the front pipe? Refitted back panel and turned power on. Within about 4 hours fridge and freezer were both back to proper temperatures (purchased thermometer for each). However temperature started to rise again after about 7-8 days. Evaporator is iced up again. Checked resistance of the heater, across terminal block, and got a reading so I presumed the heater is not broken ? If it's the defrost cycle not working is there anything else I can check myself before calling out an engineer? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Could be the control module misinterpreting readings from the sensors (thermistor's) or faulty sensors.
Something has to initiate the defrost and something has to terminate it. Initial thought is sensors, but you can only check them by measuring the resistance (against manufacturer data) at a given temp. The module may well initiate a defrost, but after maybe a couple of minutes a sensor will terminate it prematurely.

It's difficult to do a remote diagnosis, but in general the sensors are more prone to failure than the control module.
You may just have to get an engineer out on this one, or take a chance and order new sensors.

Hi, thanks for that info. I'll bite the bullet and call out an engineer.
No worries, let us know how you get on..
Be careful about letting any costs get out of hand as well, along with labour charges / callout fee's etc, it's easy to approach the cost of a replacement....;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, will do. Been given the name of a local engineer, so should be able to get a rough quote before gong ahead with any costly repairs. If it had have been an older appliance I'd have probably not considered a repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back