Hotpoint FFU3DK1 FROST FREE FRIDGE FREEZER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Hotpoint 50/ 50 fridge freezer and the fridge has stopped working but the freezer is fine.
Any body have a similar issue and if so does anyone know how l can fix this?
Or will l have to call out the Service guy from Hotpoint?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Marvin1, good evening.

OK not my specialty, but? have you tried switching it off, leaving for [say] 10 / 15. mins and switching it on again??

Sorry not particularly original or ground breaking, but it can assist.

If the above fails?? have a look for your device on [of all places] U-Tube??

Ken

assuming yours has one compressor, and fans that blow the cold air around, a very common problem is the ducts, though which cold air is blown, getting choked with frost and ice and preventing the cold air blowing through.

Once they are completely blocked, the blockage gets more and more solid and, being inside ducts behind the back wall, difficult to thaw out.

A method that will probably work:

Take out all the food, and eat it, or put it in another FF

Unplug it

Pull it out from the wall if you can

Open both doors

Leave it open for at least 24 hours, or until water has stopped dripping inside, and into the evaporation dish at the back (sometimes walled in, but usually visible on top of the motor, with a tube to drain defrost water into the dish).

Mop up the water and clean out the dish, which may be full of dirt and mould. If the dish overflows, it may spill onto an electrical part and cause another fault, so sponge it out if you can.

When you are sure it has fully defrosted and drained, and is dry, you can plug it back in. If you plug it in before the ice blockage is all gone, you have wasted your time.

it may run OK for a year or two. If it blocks again soon, there is probably a fault in the defrost element or control circuit, which is an expensive repair, so consider the age and value of your appliance.

Sponsored Links
you hit it with a hammer, and it subsequently stopped working?

Hmmmmmm.

I was using a fridge/freezer as a brew fridge, I found the fridge only started to cool when the freezer was down to temperature, it actually suited me, I had the fermenter in freezer set to 19°C with a bulb to heat it, and this started the brew, and after 7 days when into fridge set to 24°C to condition for a further 7 days, if the brew thermostat switched on the supply then it only cooled the freezer, as never got cold enough to start cooling fridge, so I had all year round brewing in the garage with no heating in garage.

But from that it would seem if your freezer is not getting cold enough the fridge will fail to cool. Brine freezes at -18°C so boil some salt in a little water so saturated, then put the liquid in freezer, if it does not freeze then not getting cold enough, if it turns to slush it's OK, if it freezes hard then likely freezer going too cold.

you hit it with a hammer, and it subsequently stopped working?

Hmmmmmm.
Only a few years later so the two events don't seem to be connected but you seem to think you can eat the capacity of a freezer in 24 hours or something.

assuming yours has one compressor, and fans that blow the cold air around, a very common problem is the ducts, though which cold air is blown, getting choked with frost and ice and preventing the cold air blowing through.

Once they are completely blocked, the blockage gets more and more solid and, being inside ducts behind the back wall, difficult to thaw out.

A method that will probably work:

Take out all the food, and eat it, or put it in another FF

Unplug it

Pull it out from the wall if you can

Open both doors

Leave it open for at least 24 hours, or until water has stopped dripping inside, and into the evaporation dish at the back (sometimes walled in, but usually visible on top of the motor, with a tube to drain defrost water into the dish).

Mop up the water and clean out the dish, which may be full of dirt and mould. If the dish overflows, it may spill onto an electrical part and cause another fault, so sponge it out if you can.

When you are sure it has fully defrosted and drained, and is dry, you can plug it back in. If you plug it in before the ice blockage is all gone, you have wasted your time.

it may run OK for a year or two. If it blocks again soon, there is probably a fault in the defrost element or control circuit, which is an expensive repair, so consider the age and value of your appliance.
Thank you l will give your advice a try.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back