Hotpoint TDC 30 Dryer

• Thread starter Water Systems
  • Start date
W

Water Systems

A neighbour is replacing the two heater cut-out switches (high temp limit stats) on his condesning dryer. The cut-outs look the same but one has a green dot on it and one does not. Looking from the back the stats are fitted side by side. Does anyone know which side the green dot stat goes? Left or right?

Sponsored Links
From the rear the green dot one is on the right. (Hope my memory is working correctly). There is a sheet supplied with the thermostats which tells you where they go and which set should go on which dryer.

Sleepyhead said:
From the rear the green dot one is on the right. (Hope my memory is working correctly). There is a sheet supplied with the thermostats which tells you where they go and which set should go on which dryer.

I saw that. What happened was that the dryer overheated and the stats cut in. The ducts at the back of the condensing filter was crammed with gunge causing a restricted air flow. He by-passed the cut-outs to get the dryer working. The problem had been erradicated the gunge. His missus threw away the old cut outs by accident. He knew the burnt one went to the right.

The leaflet does not say which side, left or right the green dot cut out goes. It just says the cut out temps of each. Do you mean the cut-out shown on the right goes on the right on the machine? Well the green dot one is shown on the left.

I just went over to his place and on the top it says it goes in as shown on the chart. Thanks, you are right it does say where it goes.

He did say that the green dot cut-out had no resistance and could not be reset. The other had resistance and when pressing the back clicked. The green dot one never clicked.

What do they protect as the green dot one is 130C and other 106C (auto re-set)?

The plastic around one of the spades is burnt and fell away. Can this just be left bare or can tape be wrapped around it?

no, cut off the wire and crimp a new piece on (same size or bigger) with a new insulated spade terminal

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
no, cut off the wire and crimp a new piece on (same size or bigger) with a new insulated spade terminal

I'll tell him that. Best soldered I would have thought as it must take some current. Thanks.

Electrically it looks OK to leave the spade bare as there is lots of room around it, so no arcing or anything. It is in an unaccessible space.

no crimp it, and still fit insulated crimp.

if it comes off its going to go bang, insulation tape no good either

The higher temperature rated stat is a "one shot" and the other is a cycling stat.

Sleepyhead said:
The higher temperature rated stat is a "one shot" and the other is a cycling stat.

I see the logic in that. Just above temperature it cuts out and resets itself when cool - could be a block linen filter. The one shot is very high temp so something big and all out and new stats.

They don't appear to be in series. Is one on one element and one on the other?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back