Hotpoint WD62 door won't open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help ? For ages now water has leaked out of the front of the soap tray but otherwise the machine works fine. this morning loaded as normal switched the cycle on, small bang - mains RCD tripped. Reset trip, machine started it's cycle, however upon reaching end of cycle the door locked light remains lit with the door locked. Don't know if the leak and the bang / door problem are related or coincidence but any help on getting the door open, or fixing the leak for that matter, gratefully received as the machine remains full of wet washing...........

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. Switch off machine at the plug (or isolating FCU).
2. Pull machine out from the wall.
3. Get a wash bowl, or similar.
4. Remove drain hose from standpipe (or connector on sink trap).
5. Place end of hose in wash bowl.
6. When bowl is full, raise hose and empty wash bowl.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until no more water emerges.
8. Wait two minutes.
9. Open door.
10. Take out wet washing and put it in the bath (or a neighbour's machine).
11. Call an appliance engineer.

Many thanks for this, except the problem is that the door remains locked indefinately. I left it all night last night, and the door was still locked this morning. I'm guessing that the most likely cause is a faulty interlock rather than a problem with whatever controller gives the signal to release?

Sorry - I forgot two steps.

8a. Turn the dial to an 'off' point.
8b. Switch on the machine.
8c. Wait two minutes,

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your reply, but further investigation has proved that the door interlock is faulty. By removing it and linking the live feed to the switched output I can run the machine.

Are these parts easily available??

I've got the same problem as this. I've pulled the front off the machine, can see the door interlock, but can't see how to remove it.

Is there a manual override just to get the door open? we have clothes stuck in the machine at the moment!!

on the back of lock is a small blob of silicone press it in it will release the lock then replace :)

Excellent - I now have the clothes out, thank you.

Is the interlock likely to be the only problem here or might something else be faulty too - the house electrics were tripped when it went faulty?

The reason I ask is that we're having a new kitchen/utility in a couple of months and will be having new appliances. I can replace the interlock for around £10, so it would be worth it until the new stuff arrived, but I don't want to spend more than I have to.

check the wireing on top of moter its cable tied release and inspect for a naked wire this will cause lock to short out also check for chaffering on the top right hand side of cabinet :p

Will do. I had a quick look at the cables, and they seemed fine, but there's a reason I came onto this forum - I'm pretty clueless!

I think I'll risk the £10 (last of the big spenders I know). If it doesn't work, I'll buy the new machine now and this machine can become a spare parts one for a mate who has the exact same model.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back