Hotpoint WDL540 flashing lights - which fault code?

OK so ordered the EMW recon PCB, fitted it but same fault (third light down on, horizontal lights flashing). Looking at the list of fault codes that came with the PCB, this is F18, but same diagnosis as rocks1 pointed to - "fault on control board, check Eeprom".

However, I have the top of the machine off and can hear a humming noise - previously nothing with old board - coming from water inlet area. So I reattached the water feed and machine started to fill with water, i.e. high pressure feed into detergent drawer and drum turning. And it doesn't want to stop - after 45 seconds to a minute, the flashing lights and same fault code returned - so I lost my nerve and powered down from the wall socket. Switched back on a few minutes later, but same thing happened. Water is now about 2 inches above door level and I am loathed to switch it back on as water filling didn't seem to stop like it normally would on a cycle.

Now this particular WM doesn't have a filter in the usual place, just a red blanking cap, so I dont seem to be able to drain the drum. Any suggestions on next steps would be very helpful...

Sponsored Links
Take the waste pipe off and put into a bucket to drain the water off. Send the pcb back and get them to programme it.

WM emptied of water - good old gravity!

RE The PCB fault, I am concious that the the same fault is present on this recon PCB as the previous PCB. Is that just bad luck, or could a component failure or wiring fault elsewhere in the machine cause this to happen?

On a general note regarding the eeprom, is it just the model specific program data that it holds for the WM to deliver the required cycle, or does it get data written to it such as stage of cycle (when paused), balance of load on spin cycle? I wonder if the eeprom ever reaches maximum writes in this application?

The Eprom is a chip that holds the memory. If it loses it then it can't do nothing. It has to programmed to make it work. Sent it back with the serial number and the 11 digit code next to it and tell them to programme it.

Sponsored Links
Hi I have seen that this thread is old, but maybe I can get some help here.

The error code I have in my machine is the following:

And the washing cycle usually ends with the error code after the wash, when it has to drain water out and spin.

Where should I start?
Thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back