HOTPOINT WF541 AQUARIUS bad leak, help find it please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am completely puzzled as to where the leak in my washing machine is coming from. Lots of water pour out from underneath the machine. Three clues:
1- There were some bits of white plastic (as the plastic the outer drum is made of) last time I took out the wash after flooding the kitchen.
2- The drum feels 'stuck' it is hard to turn it
3- The machine has made some noise last time it washed.

I removed the seal but it does not look damaged. just dirty. I poured some water at the bottom of the seal and it all came out through the bottom of the machine.

As on the pictures, I marked with A where the drain holes of the gasket are. I poured some water, where the arrow is, and it came out through the bottom of the machine. This was when the gasket was in place and after I removed it.

The gasket does not look damaged, just dirty. I marked with B the only holes (drain holes) there are.

I marked with C the witness patch of water, on the underside of the machine, where the water is coming from. It is not dripping from the black hose where the filter is attached.
I do not see water on the visible part of the outer white drum.

I have no idea what goes on in the drum portion that is sitting on the grey block and I do not dare dismantle it (yet)

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The front of the plastic tub is cut all round the lower front,a coin or similar has got wedged between the inner drum and outer tub and cut through it.You can see the split in the second picture it start's just below the dispenser hose at the quarter to position, it will go behind the concrete weight.

The front of the plastic tub is cut all round the lower front,a coin or similar has got wedged between the inner drum and outer tub and cut through it.You can see the split in the second picture it start's just below the dispenser hose at the quarter to position, it will go behind the concrete weight.

So it is! I thought that the protruding plastic was the welding between 2 parts of the drum.

Now the question is, is it worth trying to replace it? seal it to give it a bit more life? Is it going to cost me more than a second hand machine? Where do I get the spare part? Where do I buy the drum?
There are quir a few bits to remove and re-install around the drum

Drum support has snapped that's why it's noisy and stiff. New drum needed it comes complete with pulley. All you need is a heater, drums £100.00. Plus heater and poss door seal if it's mouldy. No point in sealing it , drums are found on the web or main dealer.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately it is not worth replacing the drum in this old machine as I have seen it at £178 plus my time to do it and I suddenly got very busy at work. Then the rest of the machine will still be old, like the seal.
Unless the front part of the drum can be replaced which I doubt as it is welded to the rear drum?

A second hand machine will cost £80-£90 or a new one on instalments....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back