Hotpoint WM22 bearing change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Old Hotpoint WM22 started sounding loud on spin, and sounds a bit 'crusty ' when turning the drum manually. Time for a bearing change.

This evening I stripped the machine down- front panel off, front of drum exposed, belt and pulley off. Now that the belt and pulley are off, the drum turns very freely with no resistance and I noticed that its a lot quieter! It doesn't really sound like bad bearings anymore.
Is this normal for bad bearings to sound quieter when there is no resistance? I really don't want to have to change the bearingd if I don't have to as last time I did it, it was a complete nightmare trying to get the old bearing out (and the new one didn't go in much better either!).
I did try to post a video here with the noise, but the file was too big. If anyone wants to listen I can send it to them.

Only thing is, if the bearings are good then something else is causing the loud spin.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
thanks for a quick response!
I didn't even think of notor bearings. To be honest, I'm not sure how I would tell?
It did seem to be coming from the drum area, its just got quieter since taking the pully off.

Im tempted to build it all together again to test it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back