Hotpoint WM51 won't spin during cyle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, been tasked to fix the wife's wahser.

I'm an engineer with very basic electrical knowledge (can check for a voltage with my multimeter at least and resistance in a fuse)

Just been trying to sus out how these machines work. Thought they must be pretty simple and got a rough idea from a generic haynes manual, but could do with a bit of knowledgable guidance to point me in the right dirrection.

The machine fills to what appears a sensible level, but then just clicks through the programe timmer without turning the drum, periodically pump draining until finished.

Here is a detailed list of my findings:

- Filter was blocked up with rubish but cleaning has made no difference
- Pump takes water away no problem
- I can feel hot water in the tray fill pipe when filling (always use it on external hot water, but have tried with internal heater also, and no difference)
- Drum turns by hand freeely, belt tight, motor doesn't smell burnt.
- Door has briefly stuck in the past, but currently seems to lock and unlock a as it should

(I have another WM machine of my mothers in the shed that had a similar fault I think, so parts may not be working on that either, but tried swaping anyway)

- Plugged in donor motor on top of machine with donor wires.....no difference motor not turning. Don't know how to manually test motor as 7 wires all same colour? Carbon bushes do apear to be contacting though and have good 5mm left on them.
- Bought new replacement WM51 timer and fitted after deciding this was most likely........no difference
- Swapped donor water pressure switch.........no difference
- swapped donor door switch .......no difference

Was going to get a new door switch and pressure switch if cheap enough to rule them out, but I can't realy see how they would only stop drum turn and nothing else?

Couldn't work out how heat element comes out of drum without potentially damagaging, but could the temp sensor in this cause a fault?

Any thoughts appreciated :(

Sponsored Links
Brushes are to low needs replacing also check wiring from motor to pcb

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back