Hotpoint WMA34 keeps tripping the distribution box relays!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is going to be a difficult one due to the nature of the problem. But whilst in the middle of a wash cycle the washers tripped all the mains relays in the house. Narrowed it down to the washer as they tripped again as soon as I put it back on.

Cant give any more info than that I am afraid! I know its a bit of a long shot be I have had some top help with my dryer and central heating boiler on her in the past.

Any suggestions?

Its over five years and is on nearly every day so dont think it worth getting someone out as I had half expected it go have given in by now!!

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
poss heater tripping or motor wires rubbing on the concrete weight ,can you get a meter to check the heater .if not you can disconnect the heater wires you must tape them up and run mc ,see if it trips if not heater needs replacing .

poss heater tripping or motor wires rubbing on the concrete weight ,can you get a meter to check the heater .if not you can disconnect the heater wires you must tape them up and run mc ,see if it trips if not heater needs replacing .

Thanks for quick reply rocks1.

The machines was half full of v hot water and as I couldnt turn it on I had to drain it from the door ito a bucket!! The machine went off mid cycle and the water was hot, as I could only just pick up the washing!!

If it is the heating element is the replacement cost expensive? As I wouldnt want to spend too much as the machine is probably 7/8 years old.

Thanks

Chris

Whats the weather like over there at this time of year!!!!!

hi , heater costs about 20 quid on ebay or google if its really hot could be on its way out ,try what i said and lets us know . im glad i fixed your dryer last year relay prob .im in uk its very hot , just like the name of the place were ever it is. :)

Sponsored Links
hi , heater costs about 20 quid on ebay or google if its really hot could be on its way out ,try what i said and lets us know . im glad i fixed your dryer last year relay prob .im in uk its very hot , just like the name of the place were ever it is. :)

OK will give it a try tomorrow!

Yes, dryer still going strong thanks!

"The Mariana Islands are the southern part of a submerged mountain range that extends 1,565 miles (2,519 km) from Guam to near Japan. Geographically, the Marianas are the northernmost islands of a larger island group called Micronesia, situated between 13° and 21° N. latitude and 144° and 146° E. longitude".

I think I would rather be there than here at the moment!!

Thanks

Chris

Not going to have time to check the heater element today as I am away for a few days tomorrow. However, got me thinking! At the time it tripped it was on 60 degree wash which we hardly ever use as its mainly 40 degree. The water that it get from the hot water tank is always hot as I set it at about 55 degree on the tank.

I tried the washer today on a rinse to empty the unit of water and it worked OK. If there were a heater fault I presume that as its on rinse the heater would not be working and would not cause the relays to trip. I then tried it on a 40 degree wash and again it worked fine! As the hot water was already above 40degrees when it gets to the washer, presumably the heater does not need to come on.

Does this confirm that it is a heater fault Rocks1, or do I still need to do your checks when I get back? Just wondering as I could order the parts so they are here when I get back!

Thanks

Chris

yes on the rinse no hot water just cold ,the choice is yours about getting a heater first without checking .you could wash on a 40 till you can check it out.

yes on the rinse no hot water just cold ,the choice is yours about getting a heater first without checking .you could wash on a 40 till you can check it out.

Sounds like a plan! Will run it as you say at 40 until I get back.

Thanks

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back