hotwater cylinder replacement & control upgrade

slippyr4 said:
fixing a hole in a cylinder that is due to corrosion is a false economy- there will be other parts of the cylinder that are paper thin; these will start to leak soon anyway.

Not when the fix costs about 20p, and buys enough time to save up for a new cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Nah, clean with steel wool and use a bar of solder to wipe thick layer over holes, make loads of money at £40.00 per hour and then fit them a new cylinder next year when even more regs have been dreamt up and charge £80.00 and hour for cylinder replacment, whoo hoo

Job done!
Only took me a day and half of blood sweat & tears, but my new cylinder is installed and working happily. I don't think I'll be giving up the day job though.

I tried ChrisR's suggestion of mending the old cylinder with solder, but either it didn't stick well enough or there were other pin-holes I hadn't spotted. Next time I would definitely take up Softus's suggestion of LS-X - easier to apply and doesn't cause cylinder insulation to catch fire!
So, after the failed solder fix I replaced the whole cylinder, consoling myself with the thought that a mend would probably have only been good enough for a bank holiday emergency and not for the long term.
Most of the problems were due to the postion of the heating coil inlet/outlet being different on new cylinders, meaning I had to re-arrange the 28 mm pipework. Trying to un-solder old, damp, painted-over pipework is a pain. As is trying to re-solder new pipe to it.

Anyway, thanks for all the helpful advice. I'm well satified now, and saved a packet too. 'Course, you may see me come crawling back again if the darn thing springs a leak a few weeks down the line ...

I'm glad it went [reasonably] well for you ltim23. Don't be tempted to skimp on the inhibitor though.

Sponsored Links
Of course when it goes tits up next week I will want £95.00 an hour to come and fix all the leaks.

Softus said:
Nige F said:
I`ll travel and lodge overnite for £480 labour to change your cyl. I`ll even give you the scrap value back :LOL: :LOL: No electrics. Cash.

Hm. The cylinder job I did on Thursday only cost the customer £550 including a 2-port MZV & all other materials. And I did the electrics. I guess my customers are just lucky. Or maybe yours just aren't...
They are all in the past tense.. :LOL: So many have been "done" over the years that I am virtually retired @ 51 ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Some still ring up and beg to be abused :rolleyes: the offer was half serious, it`s a nice area to go for a break.

Softus said:
I'm glad it went [reasonably] well for you ltim23. Don't be tempted to skimp on the inhibitor though.

On the subject of inhibitors - I see Screwfix offer two alternative products, both in 1litre bottles. The Purimachos 'Protex' brand costs £3.69 and the BetzDearborn Sentinel X100 costs £12.49, nearly 4 times as much !!
Any recommendations ?

1tim23 said:
Softus said:

On the subject of inhibitors - I see Screwfix offer two alternative products, both in 1litre bottles. The Purimachos 'Protex' brand costs £3.69 and the BetzDearborn Sentinel X100 costs £12.49, nearly 4 times as much !!
Any recommendations ?

I only ever use X100 or (Fernox) MB-1. Not aware of any problems with either of these. I tend to use MB-1 because it's more dilute and in my tiny mind I imagine that it gets better distributed for that reason.

I've never used Protex, so can't advise on that one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back