house extension and added decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my new neighbour at adjoining semi has had an 8' extension built to the rear of his house, he french doors are now 4' off the lawn level.

He has now built a 4' high 6' deep and 16' wide decking, the dividing fence belongs to him and is only 5' high which means there is only 1' of fencing so he has hired this by 1.5' to give him the maximum fence height which means he has extended his house by 14'.

I have contacted the planning enforcement who inform me that he does not have planning permission, but it would appear that they have given him the impression that this will be granted as he is still having wood delivered.

In addition to all this another neighbour has told me that he is boasting at his golf club that his pop group is in such great demand that he has had to give up his day job for rehearsals and this decking looks more like a stage than anything else, he is also telling neighbours that he is going to get the street light outside his house moved across the road.

So far I have not been contacted by the planning office but they only came to inspect a week ago. How much info do I give them when they ask for my opinion on the matter bearing in mind that he can see me in my house and garden doing my everyday chores. :evil:

Sponsored Links
bearing in mind that he can see me in my house and garden doing my everyday chores. :evil:

Bearing in mind he could do this if there was no fence or an open wire fence .... or even if he imports 50 tonne of soil to build up the ground which would not require planning permisison

As for your opinion, in planning terms it won't matter one bit

Is this thread a wind up? :confused:

I have contacted the planning enforcement who inform me that he does not have planning permission, but it would appear that they have given him the impression that this will be granted as he is still having wood delivered.

I've never heard such nonsense! That has nothing to do with it. However, the works may fall under the requirements of Permitted Development, which wouldn't necessarily warrant a planning application, providing he abides by the PD rules, regulations and limitations.

In addition to all this another neighbour has told me that he is boasting at his golf club that his pop group is in such great demand that he has had to give up his day job for rehearsals and this decking looks more like a stage than anything else, he is also telling neighbours that he is going to get the street light outside his house moved across the road.

Chinese whispers? Who care what he has been saying? I tell you what... unless the person isn't short of a few £'s, then re-locating a street lamp is not a cheap, nor easy process. I would put everything I own on an application of such nature being refused. It wont happen. And anyway, what's the re-locating of the street lamp got to do with you? He's talking about moving it on to the opposite side of the road... not up the road a bit towards your property.

my new neighbour at adjoining semi has had an 8' extension built to the rear of his house, he french doors are now 4' off the lawn level.

He has now built a 4' high 6' deep and 16' wide decking, the dividing fence belongs to him and is only 5' high which means there is only 1' of fencing so he has hired this by 1.5' to give him the maximum fence height which means he has extended his house by 14'.

So far I have not been contacted by the planning office but they only came to inspect a week ago. How much info do I give them when they ask for my opinion on the matter bearing in mind that he can see me in my house and garden doing my everyday chores. :evil:

Sponsored Links

According to the Timber Decking Association

http://www.tda.org.uk/NetBuildPro/process/15/Planningbuildingregulations.html

"Situations Requiring Planning Permission
Where the deck is situated within 20 metres of a highway.
Where the deck platform is more than 300mm (1 ft) from the ground (effective 1 October 2008).
If the structure would affect the amenity value or privacy of neighbouring properties.
If the deck is attached to a listed building or situated in a conservation area or National Park. ...

In addition to the situations set out above, other restrictions have been known to apply, including limitations to the overall deck area in relation to the existing property or garden area and the constraints of established building lines. For example, in England (after 1 October 2008), surfaces, including decking, are not permitted to cover more than 50% of a property's garden."

Cheers
Richard

I thank all who replied to me and it may appear long winded from my part but I have taken in the planning regulations andmy problem is that I am 72yrs old and my neighbour is in his 50s and has already caused damage to my property whilst his extention was being built and he just ignored this and I had to pay for the damage myself. I am wondering if anyone has any further information that I may be able to use to persuade the planning enforcements decision (should I gave them his reputation ) if so will this help or hinder my objection to this decking.

As pointed out by a previous reply if the decking is more than 300mm high it requires planning permission. If he applies you, as a neighbour, will be notified of his application and have the opportunity to object. If he continues without permission you should inform the LA planning in writing and he could possibly be forced to remove it.

SHOW WADDY WADDY, IF ONLY this one tells everyone he has a pop group and I have seen a guitar but never heard it, in fact I never hear any music at all, but he never goes out work, his wife does. when he does eventually surface I will keep ypu informed

Edit: sorry - all this has been covered in previous posts.

Have you submitted a formal complaint to your local Planning Office?

Planning Permission is often required for all decking and may be refused if any part of the decking is more than a foot above the ground and it affects the neighbours.

Edit: sorry - all this has been covered in previous posts.

Have you submitted a formal complaint to your local Planning Office?

Planning Permission is often required for all decking and may be refused if any part of the decking is more than a foot above the ground and it affects the neighbours.

He must have submitted a planning application as all work has now stopped but so far I have not been contacted by the planning office

Your Local Authority Planning Department may have a website where you can view application and possibly even register objections. Preferably, go to the Town Hall and speak to them. As a 72 year old resident, a personal visit might be more impressive and get them on your side. Don't wait for planning permission to be granted before you object; it is probably easier to help them make a first decision than later to get them admit they were wrong.

You have just given me anidea I know the local Conservative councillor quite well I will speak to her but our council is Labour so I am not sure if it will work, but thank you anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back