house insurance during loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having our loft converted, and the builder has yet to break through our ceiling. He had planned to do this once the dormer windows were in and access to the roof space secured, but there's been a delay in getting them, so he's suggested we could proceed anyway.

My concern is security and insurance - where does that leave us from a claim point of view if anyone did break in. Would screwing wood over the windows to prevent access be sufficient?

Realize this is a legal type question, but presumably some of you must have encountered this issue before. What do people normally do? Are we mad to consider going ahead, or is this fairly normal practise?

Thanks,
Pete.

(BTW, in checking our policy we found we had to notify the insurance company of any building work in order to be in compliance with the T&Cs - watch out for that if you're having work done!)

Sponsored Links
oops - sorry for the dupe - I hit 'back' in my browser and it reposted the message.

the only person to answer this one accuratley is-------

----- the person who answers the phone when you phone your insurance company :D ;) ;)

ask for there name and a letter with the relivent advice covered in case off a claim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back