House prices

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Maxine Kelly and Akila Quinio in London 5 HOURS AGO

UK house prices have recorded the largest annual drop in 14 years as rising mortgage costs pile pressure on the property market, according to data from Nationwide.

Prices for July fell 0.2 per cent on the previous month and 3.8 per cent compared with the same month last year, the largest fall since 2009, the Nationwide house price index showed.

The average cost of a home in the UK is now £260,828.

House prices have come under increasing pressure as lenders have increased mortgage costs in response to the Bank of England’s continued interest rate rises.In June, house prices remained broadly flat compared with the previous month, Nationwide’s data showed, but were 3.5 per cent lower than the same month last year.

Nationwide’s chief economist Robert Gardner said housing activity had become more subdued in recent months as the affordability of mortgages for prospective homebuyers had become “challenging”.

The lender said there had been 86,000 house sales in June, 15 per cent lower than at the same time last year and about 10 per cent below pre-pandemic levels. The price of a typical home, meanwhile, was 4.5 per cent below its August 2022 peak.

Data from the BoE on Monday, which showed a slight rise in mortgage approvals in June, was driven by activity that predated the more recent rise in longer term interest rates, Gardner said."

Imogen Pattison, assistant economist at Capital Economics, said the fall in house prices in July was “the first sign of the surge in mortgage rates since mid-May taking its toll”.

Mortgage rates have soared in recent months following successive interest rate rises by the BoE, which in June raised its interest rate to 5 per cent in an effort to tame stubbornly high inflation.

Economists and analysts said they expected house prices and sales volumes to drop further in the coming months, as they anticipated mortgage rates to remain around their current levels for another year"

FT.com

Sponsored Links
In real terms though, they have not dropped around my neck of the woods...

Sponsored Links
Certainly asking prices have dropped around here but are homes selling ?

I am sure that people who may have thinking about buying or moving have been priced out by the high mortgage prices and are now waiting for prices to drop

hardly unexpected IMHO

and if I was a 1st time buyer, I certainly would not be buying right now

This challenging affordability picture helps to explain why housing market activity has been subdued in recent months. There were 86,000 completed housing transactions in June, 15% below the levels prevailing the same time last year and around 10% below pre-pandemic levels.

Slow but still moving.

Read the extract.
I know what it says. You do realise the average uk price is so high because of London ? So an armpit area of London dropping will have more of an effect than houses dropping in day Birmingham.

I know what it says. You do realise the average uk price is so high because of London ? So an armpit area of London dropping will have more of an effect than houses dropping in day Birmingham.
The House Price Index is based on the sales of property throughout the UK.
High value property is counter-weighted in the methodolgy.

"For the UK HPI, the standard average house price is calculated by taking the average (geometric mean) price in January 2015 and then recalculating it in accordance with the index change back in time and forward to the present day.

The geometric mean reduces the weighting given to high value properties when compared to the arithmetic mean and is typically lower, usually closer to that of the median."

The House Price Index is based on the sales of property throughout the UK.
High value property is counter-weighted in the methodolgy.

"For the UK HPI, the standard average house price is calculated by taking the average (geometric mean) price in January 2015 and then recalculating it in accordance with the index change back in time and forward to the present day.

The geometric mean reduces the weighting given to high value properties when compared to the arithmetic mean and is typically lower, usually closer to that of the median."

That’s changed since the last time I read about it. Cheers.

Been dropping around my area for a while stuff that was 250k last year is 220k this year higher priced houses also showing similar percentage drops .

House prices are a direct result of political policies. By that I mean that at this time in our history house prices are directly controlled by our government.

Demographically, we on this forum own our houses. How many of us could afford to buy it today???

You will own nothing & you will be happy.

Which bit don't you understand???

Sponsored Links
Back