House Renovation diary

First thing that struck me about the unit was, the quality was way higher than i expected, it came with some things i hadnt seen before in my flat pack ikea world. for instance, the handles are solid steel not plastic, the hinges all have covers to hide screws, every single hole for the different shelf hights has a small plastic brown blank to hide the holes not in use, the small draw has a wheel mechanism to lower and raise each side of the face in order to level it and lots of other little things, however, it didnt come with any screws to bolt the different units together, so I did a trip to screw fix, i figured if they were all held together as one unit, it would be much more solid.

i tried the unit in place, the first issue was part of the unit was in the way of the waste pipe, as below. luckily I had some large corner brakets that i could use to brace the legs and then cut the wood. I was worried, that the right hand side might flap a bit at the front edge but now its done, it doesnt look to be an issue

IMG_20160127_171049931.jpg

The unit also came with some small wall "L" brackets to attach it to the wall, i decided to use instead some huge masonry screws that dont need wrallplugs to fix it, its really solid now and probably doesnt even need feet.

In order to get the basin to drain into the soil pipe as its not plastic, i had to get a specific pan connector with drain and then convert that from 4" to 3", a little complicated but got there in the end

IMG_20160128_153312927.jpg

The above image doesnt show the sink connected, but does show the corner brackets holding the feet in place after having cut the cabinet to allow the waste to get past.

with the toilet in place and working, i put the top in place for measuring. going back in time slightly, in order to fit the unit I had two choices, i could fit the unit up against the wall closest to the toilet, or i could fit the unit central between the wall and the bath. i did the latter for a few reason. The two main ones are, when centrally positioned, the toiled almost perfectly lines up with the waste with no kinks, also, the toilet sits on a 60 cm wide unit, which means the center of the toilet would only be 30cm away from the wall, which doesnt leave much room for you legs, and ive used them before where they have been too closed to the wall and uncomforable so i wanted to avoid that. the position i chose also meant the sink was more central to the room and to the pillar between the two windows, for a mirror or similar. All in all it made the most sense to put it where it is.

here is is in place with the top placed on before cutting

IMG_20160128_114517964.jpg

marking the sink

IMG_20160128_142008200.jpg

had to cut 4cm off the back of the top so heres how i did that, had a spare peice of plastering corner handy

IMG_20160128_150246566.jpg

IMG_20160128_150441075.jpg

IMG_20160128_151658499.jpg

the last job was to get the sink plumbed up which i did last thing lastnight

IMG_20160129_092116111.jpg

Whats left to do:

I need to plain the piece of unit that sits under the sink as its just too deep to fit, shouldn't be seen from the front. then i can seal the sink in place.
I need to cut the piece that sits behind the toilet slightly to allow it to fit over the now fitted basin waste.
I need to fit the door handles
I need to fit the strips of top to the cut ends to hide the cuts
i need to cut the kickboard / plinth and fit that.

so far though im really pleased with how its all going considering i haven't done any of it before

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
its a standard 3 inch pan connector, the 4inch flexi pan connector just pushed into it like the toilet itself would, and you could tell the seal was really good, not worried about it leaking at all

Ive done the floor tiling this week, and last week i painted on the water proof membrane around the shower area. I also finished plasterboarding around the windows.

ive removed the toilet so as to tile underneath it and ive also tiles underneath the legs of the unit, just felt like the best way. I was able to do this by lifting the legs at certain points. and tiling over two days.

I also fitted a new light fitting which is a designed for a bathroom.

Its the first time ive ever done tiling and grouting and im pretty pleased with the results, it helps that the floor was new and very flat im sure, but that was the plan.

IMG_20160212_090948018_HDR.jpg

Started poainting the membrane around the niche

IMG_20160213_205619674_HDR.jpg

First coat done

IMG_20160214_141930947_HDR.jpg

Second and last coat done

IMG_20160215_091105788.jpg

I also painted the walls and floor in the leakyest areas to protect them and you can see a wooden batton in the image under the bath, the idea here is any water that runs under the bath shoudl hit that barrier and not go any further, just incase over the years the water pools in a corner and damages the floor. the barrier also runs up the wall to stop the drips from the corner of the screen door getting under the bath. It seems to me this is usually the weak point of most shower screens

IMG_20160215_091221216.jpg

Here is how i left day one of tiling, you can see the cast iron pip and the adapter used to drain the sink into the toilet waste (not connected)

IMG_20160221_195826830_HDR.jpg

grouting mid way

IMG_20160223_213430773_HDR.jpg

grouting finished

IMG_20160223_220420998_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160223_220423183_HDR.jpg

the tiles here still have a mist coat of grout on them, i scrubbed them this morning after finishing lastnight and got most of it up, ill give it a further scrub tonioght and should bring the brightness back to the tile, the grout has also dried a bit lighter than the images show, and im really pleased so far!

IMG_20160223_220508566.jpg

Sponsored Links
so this weekend, we properly started painting the master bedroom and tiling the walls in the bathroom. took quite some time to work out where all the tiles were going but we made a good start. the bedroom is getting an accent wall in a slightly darker brown where the bedhead will be going and im currently deciding if i need to replace the floor or not as its a bit noisy when walking. and ive also got to figure out where im putting the TV

PANO_20160228_104316 (Medium).jpg

PANO_20160228_104354 (Medium).jpg

I decided for a cleaner look to try to avoid using the face plate for the shower controls, and just drill the holes in the tile, took a bit of fettling but i got to a point where im pretty happy.

here is what the plate looks like

IMG_20151227_163030136.jpg

First i lined the lazer level up as perfectly as i could

IMG_20160228_085352551_HDR.jpg

the i lined the new tile up and traced the laser

next i did the horizontal levels

IMG_20160228_090610838_HDR.jpg

end result,

IMG_20160228_104123698_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160228_104143184_HDR.jpg

just needs a fine tune and sticking to the wall, im not sure of the best way to seal around the controls yet, the faceplate has some built in O rings that seal it, i should be able to use silicone to achieve the same thing, but im not sure how obvious it will be up against the light grey grout ill be using.

a bit more done over the weekend, not as much as id like, but i did get the niche tiled which im happy about, im going to throw up the back wall and the left hand wall as soon as i can, then ill grout that, and we should be able to start having showers again, which would be nice after 3 or 4 months of baths!

IMG_20160305_134342860_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160305_134909815_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160306_204526095.jpg

so steady progress with the tiling, takes longer than i would have thought

IMG_20160314_090004301.jpg

IMG_20160314_090011119.jpg

IMG_20160314_090011119.jpg

IMG_20160314_090012562.jpg

IMG_20160314_090016326.jpg

got too late to do the two tiles remaining shown in the last picture so ill do them as soon as i can, then im going to grout what ive done so far

that way i can actually start having showers, which i haven't had in a long time, since like November or
something

the rest of the walls are not done and due to a few things happening i may have to leave the bathroom project for now and move on to the kitchen

i would have prefered to finish the bathroom but at the same time, ill be happy to start a new project

I grouted and sealed the tiles this weekend, along with fitting all the shower parts.

Basically I wanted to be able to have a shower so I finished the tiles around the bath / shower so we could do this, the rest of the room still needs to be tiled but I was able to shower this morning (monday) and i couldn't be happier with the result. The shower itself has lots of pressure, and the large shower head really feels great to be under, having showered at most of my friends houses over the last few months, I can safely say that this is one of the best showers ive had. Well worth all of the effort. apologies these pics are after i took a shower this morning so its not as clean as it could be.

IMG_20160319_164904559.jpg

IMG_20160320_122304315.jpg

IMG_20160320_122307162.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

ill get a closeup on some of the features tonight but its really nice to be able to shower again!

Ive rubbed the walls down a few times, but there still seems to be a bit of a mist coat from the grout, any idea how i can get rid of this altogether?

here are a few of the details:

the showerhead is huge and has great coverage of you whole body when under it, the pressure is great too. the nosels are rupper so that when the shower head inevitably gets limescaled up, you can give them a squeeze and squeeze out the scale. very clever. because its connected to the ceiling i positioned the head directly above the widest part of the bath which gives you a lot of space to move around, one of the problems ive had with even cubicle showers is the showerhead is too close to the wall and you cant get under it properly. would recommend this design.

IMG_20160321_210004682.jpg

the join between the light and dark tiles above is silicone, i got a mapei light grey which matches my grout really well

IMG_20160321_205939116.jpg

used the same silicone around the shower controls

IMG_20160321_205929242.jpg

the hand held shower for washing the dog etc, i really liked this one because the mount that holds the showerhead is also the water supply. most i found had separate parts, a holder and a pipe attachment and some even had a rail to adjust the height, but i think less is more in this case, the shower head is so good we really dont need to be able to adjust this its just useful in some situations.

IMG_20160321_210134301.jpg

IMG_20160321_210146496.jpg

matching basin and bath taps. The all the rage waterfall type. really nice effect. its so much better to have mixer taps now before they were individual and the sink was useless.

Installed a Projector screen in the living room last week and added it to the home automation setup, made a short video of it working, the screen moves up and down with a motor and I can control it from my phone along with the lights and lamps.

best bit is the screen was £90 from amazon plus £50 to add the controller for the home automation (using smart things) so it didnt break the bank, the projector is a broken one as it has stars all over the screen, so im looking to either repair it or replace it. one of the fun projects on the build so far.

Ive rubbed the walls down a few times, but there still seems to be a bit of a mist coat from the grout, any idea how i can get rid of this altogether?

Warm water with a bit of washing up liquid. Wipe over with a sponge and then clean water and sponge to rinse off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back