House renovation - Megaflow or just a pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently renovated and extended a 1940's 3 bed house which has oil fired central heating. It has with a tank in an airing cuboard fed from a tank in the loft.

I had to move the boiler (Ecoflow?) at one point to make room for an extension and in doing so replaced a few new parts (nozel, ignition pack, electrodes, control box) and generally gave it a good seeing to.

The boiler seems to be man enough and in good enough condition. Despite adding a couple of high output rads in the extension, temperature wise all is well.

As for water... I've added an all singing all dancing steam room/shower/bath thing, and a downstairs toilet with hand basin.

The only trouble is I have low pressure output from all the hot water taps.

I was simply intending to fit a single shower pump in the airing cuboard on the pipe that feeds the hot water taps. Would this work? I was thinking maybe it ends up going back to the boiler in which case it could cock things up?

Anyway a friend of mine came round the other day who happens to work for a certain company and says he can get me a Megaflow FOC. I have to admit I'd never heard of them before but from what I've managed to find out so far everyone is raving about them.

So I guess I'm really wondering what the benefits of having a Megaflow other than good hot water pressure? Do I really want to go to all the hassle of fitting a megaflow when my little shower pump idea would suffice?

As you've probably worked out already I'm certainly not a heating engineer but have a good understanding of how things work and always like to have a go myself. So any help or advice greatfully recieved.

Sponsored Links
Depends on what your incoming mains pressure and flow rate is like.

You need at least 3 Bar and 20 l/min to make it worthwile.

search on here for answers, it has been covered many times before.

Not happy to hear you are thinking of getting a stolen megaflow.

With a bit of luck you and your mate will end up in jail together.

Sponsored Links
Depends on what your incoming mains pressure and flow rate is like.

You need at least 3 Bar and 20 l/min to make it worthwile.

search on here for answers, it has been covered many times before.

Thanks Dave but I have had a good search and 'm pretty sure a Megaflow is "do-able". The only thing I'd have to change is the 15mm mains supply to airing cuboard.

What I really need to know though is if its worth doing. Would the shower pump idea work as it'll be alot easier to do?

Shower pumps work well if fitted correctly, although are noisey in use.

Not happy to hear you are thinking of getting a stolen megaflow.

With a bit of luck you and your mate will end up in jail together.

I can't remember saying it was stolen either :confused:

Not that its any of your business but it would be perfectly legit. Something to do with free trial units they dish out to property developers like myself in the hope I'll choose them for future projects.

Shower pumps work well if fitted correctly, although are noisey in use.

aha, knew there must be a reason the "whisper quite" ones are alot more expensive. :LOL:

So just to confirm, its ok to put the pump at the start of the pipe from the tank? i.e. so it pumps whenever any hot tap in the house opens (not just the shower). This won't somehow make the water go faster through the boiler/heating system?

If you can get a free megaflo off heatrae, and you've got a decent water supply, that's got to be the way to go. It's not just a question of putting a pump on either, you would need to make sure that you had a big one with a good store of hot water to supply it, and a good sized cold storage cistern to supply that. Especially seeing as you have an "all singin all dancing" steam room shower/bath thing to feed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back